Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Hangs after boot - fails to get to login screen.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vishmister

Vishmister

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently having a problem in which my PC simply fails to get to the login screen. It boots through all its CMOS codes fine and through the motherboard splash screen. It is at the next screen where the windows logo would be (I run my PC in non-GUI boot mode) where problems begin to occur, it spends far longer on this screen than I would expect. After this screen instead of getting to the windows login screen, I am left with a black screen with a cursor on it (which I cannot move). When I turn off the PC, I am given no option for startup repair etc.

The PC boots perfectly fine in safe mode.

I have tried uninstalling my NVIDIA drivers, but I cannot reinstall them as the install process fails to work in safe mode, and I obviously cannot boot into normal mode.

How can I get my PC to boot normally again?

Many thanks.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 21 March 2016 - 02:48 PM.
Moved from BSOD, crashes etc to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

I would try a startup repair.

Repair Windows 7 Using the Startup Repair Tool - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

Louis

#3 Vishmister

Vishmister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hi, 

I tried using the dvd i used to originally install Windows and got this error:

This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows

How can I rectify this?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

Please...read the instrucitons for doing the repair.  It does not say that any recovery disk can be used to effect a repair...only a Genuine Windows install disk.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users