Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reverting to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 marija_peg

marija_peg

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:54 AM

My father does not like Win10 and wants to go back to Win7. I have  a problem when trying to revert to Win 7. It says:

Before you can go back to a previous version of Windows, you'll need to put any user accounts you moved after your most recent upgrade back in their original location.
You moved one account (my father's account)

What should we do? It is the main account of the computer with all his files, folders, documents and there is no other account created in the meantime, actually it is the only account on the computer.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

Have you changed since you upgrade to Windows 10 like rename user account or move folders to another location if yes revert back all changes.

Posted Image

#3 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:07 AM

I don't know. He didn't rename the user account, that's for sure. If he has moved some folders, how would I know that?

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

If he has moved some folders, how would I know that?

I would ask him.

#5 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:21 AM

Hahahaha, yeah, thanks. :D

I did ask him already... he is not that good with computers and he says he didn't do anything as far as he is aware of it :D

Also, would "moving folders" mean within the user account, or on another partition or both?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

Have you created any new user account after installing Windows 10?
Try revert back to Windows 7 the error message should list the account that needs to be removed if this account has been created since upgrade to Windows 10.

Posted Image

#7 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

He says no. Also, the listed account to be moved/removed is his main and only account, as I already mentioned

I don't have access to his computer, I've just tried reverting via Team Viewer and this is what I got. I will get to his computer on Friday, can you just instruct me what I should check or do?

Thanks for your help, FreeBooter.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:31 AM

Try installing the free Classic Shell.  It will make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7.  In the future before making major changes (like the upgrade from 7 to 10) you should make a full system backup to an external hard drive.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

I did ask him already... he is not that good with computers and he says he didn't do anything as far as he is aware of it :D

At this point, I wouldn't waste time trying to figure what happened and how to solve this issue.  I would back up all his personal stuff and re-install Windows 7.

#10 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Funny thing, my nephew installed the Win10 by accident on my father's computer. So there's that.

Yeah, I will tell him to just get used to it :D

Or what Agouti said, do a back up and reinstall if he will really insist on win7.

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

If you install the free program Classic Shell, it will make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7.  That would likely make your dad happy with it.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users