Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux/*nix alternatives to Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:53 AM

So we don't get in trouble for taking other threads off topic, how about we start listing alternatives to Windows programs here?  Keep it to ones you have personal experience with.  Most of them will be prepackaged for Linux distributions, other *nix may need to build from source.

Quicken Alternative:

GnuCash ( gnucash.org )  I've used this for a while, it's gotten better every version.  It will import Quicken data files, has interfaces to online banking.  It'll work fine for small business too.

Office Alternative:

LibreOffice.  I've used this since it was StarOffice, another that has gotten better and better.  Biggest issue is always compatibility with Office file formats, but simply save in a "not the latest" Office and you should be fine.

Outlook Alternative:

Thunderbird.  Now has the Lightening calendar bit integrated (you can pick up Google calendar with it, probably other calendar formats), does a good job of email too.

PhotoShop:

Lightzone  ( google for lightzone project to find the website )

Video Conferencing/Video Calls:

Google Hangouts (  there is a plugin that works on Firefox )

What else do we have?

Edited by mremski, 21 March 2016 - 05:51 AM.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:27 AM

Twitter.

CorebirdNative Gtk+ Twitter client for the Linux desktop

Corebird is a modern, easy and fun Twitter client, just what you were looking for

http://corebird.baedert.org/

Please note.

No discussion about the virtues of any given software over another will be allowed. Same thing applies for support questions. If you have a question start a new thread.

Thanks

Nick.

Edited by NickAu, 21 March 2016 - 02:30 AM.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:54 AM

@mremski:

LOVE the Topic

@NickAu:

Thanks for the clarification. I was about to suggest to the OP ground rules might need to be set, to stop war from breaking out.

If I can take it that we are talking FOSS, cross-platform as well, then brainstorming briefly:

• Firefox browser, used it since it first went GUI, at that time I was under Windows
  • GIMP - the Gnu Image Manipulation Program is an alternative to Photoshop, used since 2014
  • VLC Media Player, as an alternative to Real Player and Windows Media stuff, used since 2009

And just as a BTW to the OP, and the viewers:

Between Star Office (which I enjoyed) and Libreoffice was OO - Open Office, which I used, from its inception around 2003/4, and which forked into ApacheOpenOffice and LibreOffice around 2010 or so.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users