Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build for Linux, picking components

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CFinIndy

CFinIndy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

I'm starting on building my first system, and I intend to use Mint as the OS.  In picking components, I want those that will cause me the least amount of potential problems, and from manufacturers who offer the best support for Linux.  The only thing I've purchased so far is a Core i5-6500 CPU.

Looking at the mobo, I'm considering an ASRock Z170 Pro4S, or possibly their H170 Pro4S. I'm pretty sure I want the Intel chipset.  For the GPU, I really don't have any good sense of which direction to go between Nvidia and AMD.  Since this will likely be the most costly of the components, I want to make sure I get it right.

I would appreciate any feedback on the choices based on your experience.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:25 PM

Hi can you please tell us what you will be using the PC for?  You may or may not need a graphics card.

I built my PC with Linux in mind and use onboard graphics.

nick@Sith:~$ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: Sith Kernel: 4.3.0-040300-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 5.2.1) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: H81M-P33 (MS-7817) version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: V1.1 date: 08/19/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 25597.1 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 3321.125 MHz 2: 3400.375 MHz 3: 3267.00 MHz 4: 3400.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Card-2: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k4.3.0-040300-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: d4:3d:7e:ee:3c:83
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1264.3GB (3.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SanDisk_SDSSDHP2 size: 256.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: Cruzer_Fit size: 8.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 227G used: 43G (20%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.46GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 238 Uptime: 4:35 Memory: 1342.5/7862.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
nick@Sith:~$ 

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

What is your budget? Are you gaming?
The h170 board would save you money and the z170 would be pointless as you don't have an Oc-able cpu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,367 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:34 PM

The only real concern you will have is the GPU as if you are building a gaming rig there are factors to consider especially one that will run linux gaming.

On one hand there is nvidia who make fantastic proprietary drivers for linux but do often neglect making open drivers.

AMD is often times the opposite, the AMD open drivers work nicely most of the time but their GPU's are not as good.

The stability of the driver too will matter, check what distro supports the GPU the most.

Newer GPU's will only work on newer kernels though.

This is a very calculated decision of what you will choose.

I personally have decided to go AMD when the time comes because of the open driver compatibility, sure AMD gpus are inferior to Nvidia but I have to do what is best for linux.

If this was a pure windows setup Nvidia would be my choice but i dualboot.

As for gaming in linux dont expect miracles, you still may want to have windows on the side of your setup so you can use the full gaming experience.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#5 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:58 AM

Cat recently went through this, upgrading a donated system, so he has good recent relevant experience.

Regardless what the intended use is, get a good power supply, probably bigger than you thing, good CPU and case fans (less noise, longer life and better heat removal) and my personal preference of an SSD for the OS and a separate device (SSD or spinning media) for /home and user data.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

Good advice from above. I'll second mremski on the getting a bigger power supply (wattage wise) than what you need. You don't usually want to run a power supply at max capacity or near max for extended periods. Puts a lot of wear and tear on it. Also getting a bigger one allows for upgrade room.

As far as the whole AMD vs. Nvidia GPU thing... (if you plan to get one) it is hard to say. I have ran both in Linux, and I prefer running Nvidia. AMD has decent proprietary drivers, I don't remember having a big issue with them at all, just don't use the fglrx drivers for them. Those drivers are absolutely garbage.

The proprietary Nvidia drivers have come a long way in a short time for Linux. Much better than they used to be. I haven't had any issue with them once installed. Installing them could be an issue sometimes though. If you run Ubuntu you can install them through the "Additional drivers" section and those work great, they just aren't the latest and greatest. Maybe one or two versions back.

Please answer Captain_Chicken and Nick's questions, they are pretty important and do help in us helping you.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 CFinIndy

CFinIndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the input.  Here are some answers to your questions.

Hi can you please tell us what you will be using the PC for?  You may or may not need a graphics card.

I'm not very much into gaming, but I want to run flight simulations. I understand some of them require anywhere from 1-4 GB of VRAM. Wasn't sure if the 1.7 GB on the CPU would be enough.  I can always add a video card later, but the AMD vs. Nvidia question will still be there.

What is your budget? Are you gaming?
The h170 board would save you money and the z170 would be pointless as you don't have an Oc-able cpu.

See above for gaming status.  My budget for the build is around $900, hopefully including a monitor.  I don't really need the Z170 mobo.  One of my flaws is getting the biggest, loudest, brightest, flashiest, fastest, blingiest thing I can. Realistically, I'll probably stick with the H170.

Right now, I'm leaning toward an SSD for the OS plus an HDD for storage.  I'm still considering whether to dual boot as I do now, or run Win7 in VirtualBox.  I also appreciate the advice on the power supply.

Thanks again for your help, and I'll share my choices as I progress.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:45 PM

Can you post what flight sims you want to use?

#9 CFinIndy

CFinIndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

Can you post what flight sims you want to use?

I'm looking mainly at FlightGear, X-Plane, and Flight Simulator X.

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

Okay so FlightGear and X-Plane don't look to be all too hardware intensive. Though if you plan on still wanting to use Flight Simulator X you will need to continue to dual boot with Windows as it doesn't run on Linux. Also keep in mind, when you buy a new motherboard/CPU you will have to buy a new license for MS Windows if all you have is an OEM version. If you have a full retail copy of Windows it should transfer just fine.

You should be able to get away with a mid range card looking over the requirements on the flight sims (FSX is probably the most graphic intensive). How much are you willing to spend on one?

#11 CFinIndy

CFinIndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

Thanks, DeimosChaos.  I was hoping to get something in the $200-250 range.  I'm also glad you mentioned the new license I'll need. Hopefully I can pick up a copy of Win7 Home Premium or Pro while they're still available.

About 30 minutes ago I dropped by the website of a major on line retailer, and they were running a special deal on the ASRock Z170 Pro4S.  As Captain_Chicken pointed out above that's a bit of overkill for my needs, but for $30 off the normal price, I couldn't pass it up. 

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

It might be overkill, but it will be a quality board.

As far as the GPU situation goes, I believe you can get the Nvidia 960 for around the 200-250 price range. Same goes with the AMD R9 380X. If you take a look here you'll see that the Nvidia 960 has a slight advantage over the AMD 380X. Not by much though.... These two cards are probably the best ones for your budget I would say.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

Thanks, DeimosChaos.  I was hoping to get something in the $200-250 range.  I'm also glad you mentioned the new license I'll need. Hopefully I can pick up a copy of Win7 Home Premium or Pro while they're still available.

About 30 minutes ago I dropped by the website of a major on line retailer, and they were running a special deal on the ASRock Z170 Pro4S.  As Captain_Chicken pointed out above that's a bit of overkill for my needs, but for $30 off the normal price, I couldn't pass it up. 

Oh, that's a very nice MB, and you'll have the option of a M.2 SSD, typically faster than SATA-3 ones, depending on what the MB allows as far as speeds goes. The drawback are that like mSATA SSD's, they'll run hotter, sometimes 2x warmer than a 2.5" model. I took mine & placed in a partial 2.5" enclosure, installed in a 2.5" to 3.5" Rosewill adapter that shipped with a fan. Now since cool air is constantly blowing on the SSD, it's temps are in line with the rest, and most likely prolonged it's life by years. 

As mremski pointed out above, I recently upgraded to an ASRock MB for the AMD AM3+ CPU's, and am soon going to add an FX-6300 for more power & an L3 cache. Will install the present Athlon II x4 630 in a Dell Optiplex 740 'Enhanced' BIOS Desktop Edition, while the AM3 CPU will be bottlenecked some by going in an AM2 MB, it'll still run at 2.8Ghz & in quad core mode, and likely make a decent Linux box. I seldom throw anything away, so this may be that computer's last shot at life. 

This is the ASRock MB that I purchased, only wanted it for the AHCI feature for my SSD's, yet this MB is loaded to be an AM3+ model, was built in 2015, most all other options were older releases. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157582

It was only this week that I found what all it's capable of, and am now, other than having Secure Boot disabled, running in full UEFI mode with GPT partitioning of my drives. For that to be possible, had to flash my GPU to a UEFI compatible BIOS. MSI had one on the site for their version of the AMD Radeon 7770 OC Edition (1GB GDDR5), a Google search landed me on the page. 

So the final specs in my Topic below aren't the last. When first creating the Topic, wanted to know about the quality of ASRock MB's. During a period of 3 days post install, was ran quite a lot, and ran excellent for what I paid, which is what's less than today's price & will still get a $15 rebate. :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607136/are-asrock-motherboards-any-good/

ASRock pricing doesn't reflect it's quality, makes it appear to be a low grade MB, when in fact, it's the other way around. I guess that ASRock is holding pricing down to keep customers. So far, so good with me. 

Feel free to ask about components in the Hardware Forum, it doesn't matter if the components are for a Linux or Windows computer, these still have to be right or nothing will work. There are members eagerly awaiting to assist with Hardware issues that doesn't participate in other areas of the Forum. just as there are many who doesn't post elsewhere on this one, and they know what they're taking about. 

Without their support, don't know if I'd had purchased the MB, let alone install it. :)

EDIT: The final issues raised in the last post of the above Topic have been resolved. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 March 2016 - 05:55 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 CFinIndy

CFinIndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

This is the ASRock MB that I purchased, only wanted it for the AHCI feature for my SSD's, yet this MB is loaded to be an AM3+ model, was built in 2015, most all other options were older releases. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157582

It was only this week that I found what all it's capable of, and am now, other than having Secure Boot disabled, running in full UEFI mode with GPT partitioning of my drives. For that to be possible, had to flash my GPU to a UEFI compatible BIOS. MSI had one on the site for their version of the AMD Radeon 7770 OC Edition (1GB GDDR5), a Google search landed me on the page. 

So the final specs in my Topic below aren't the last. When first creating the Topic, wanted to know about the quality of ASRock MB's. During a period of 3 days post install, was ran quite a lot, and ran excellent for what I paid, which is what's less than today's price & will still get a $15 rebate. :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607136/are-asrock-motherboards-any-good/

ASRock pricing doesn't reflect it's quality, makes it appear to be a low grade MB, when in fact, it's the other way around. I guess that ASRock is holding pricing down to keep customers. So far, so good with me. 

Feel free to ask about components in the Hardware Forum, it doesn't matter if the components are for a Linux or Windows computer, these still have to be right or nothing will work. There are members eagerly awaiting to assist with Hardware issues that doesn't participate in other areas of the Forum. just as there are many who doesn't post elsewhere on this one, and they know what they're taking about. 

Without their support, don't know if I'd had purchased the MB, let alone install it. :)

EDIT: The final issues raised in the last post of the above Topic have been resolved. 

Cat

Thanks for the response, Cat.  I read your post last week when I was doing my research, and that's what pointed me in the direction of ASRock.  Until then, I was considering only Gigabyte or ASUS.  When I really looked into it, the ASRock made a lot of sense, both with specs and price.  And when Newegg ran the deal on the Z170 for $20 less than the H170, I made the choice.

I've just about decided to hold off buying a GPU right now, and see how things go using the CPU's onboard graphics.  Next step will be buying RAM, and then I'll figure out my hard drive options.

I'm excited about undertaking my first build, and I'm very grateful for the help and resources here.

Thanks again!

#15 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:02 AM

OP:

As for onboard Intel Graphics, support for newer processors is in later versions of the kernel.  Depending on what distribution, you may want to pull in a later kernel (maybe latest 4-stable) for better/fuller support.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users