Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 dramas

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nongmookub

nongmookub

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi all...
I upgraded to Windows 10 when it came out and there weren't any dramas up until lately.. I am assuming it is a windows problem...
Firstly my computer would hang randomly didn't matter what I was doing..
And then windows won't recognise certain usb devices including my external hd. I have followed advise on other forums about changing usb ports and seeing if there are any explanation marks in device manager (which there weren't ) I have also gone into disk manager but the hd doesn't show up in there either...
Anyhow I ran chkdsk on the C drive it found some errors and said it needed to restart but upon restarting it won't load windows it just stops at 'loading operating system boot from cd/dvd:'
I have tried restarting nothing helps.. I don't have a boot cd for Windows 10 however I have the original windows 7 professional install disk that was the operating system before upgrading..
If I use this disk and load/install windows again will everything on my internal hd still be there?

Edited by nongmookub, 20 March 2016 - 06:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

We can't tell (from your description) if the data is still there or not.

You'll have to use a "live" CD/DVD to boot up and see if you can see the data on the drive.

If you use the disk to reload Windows, chances are (if it's able) that it will wipe out all your old data when installing a new copy of Windows.

Also, you may want to start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users