Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Button and Volume Control Work Sometimes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

My wife has an HP p6228p desktop.  It has an Athlon II X4 620 2.8 gig processor, 8 gigs of RAM and a 583 gig hard drive.  It originally came with Windows 7 but it upgraded to 10 about 2 months ago.  She's having a weird problem.  There are times when the Windows button and the volume control work as they should.  Then there are other times when she has to right click the Windows button and access the menu just to shut down or bring up the sound mixed to adjust the volume. Rebooting has no effect.   Am I missing a setting I'm not aware of or is there a ghost in the machine?

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

The stuck start button has been a common issue with Windows 10 upgrades,i would start by running  the system file checker.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

( 1. Open the Start menu, and type cmd to open the search box.

2. When the Command Prompt appears in the search results, right click or press and hold on it, then click/tap on Run as administrator.)

2. In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

3. When the scan is finished,you should a message saying Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

NOTE :The cursor will blink at the prompt until finished. Allow the proces to run untill finished.

If the filechecker finds no issues,close the command prompt.

If the filechecker finds issues it cant fix,copy and past the following command into an elevated command prompt and press enter.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

#3 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

Thanks Wolverine 7.  I gave it a try and I got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".  Then again, it was acting fine at the time I tried it.  Time will tell if this did the trick.  I'll try it again if the behavior returns.  Thanks again!

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

Ok well thats a good sign,see how it goes,there are other processes that can be followed and work to fix the Start button,menu etc issue,if you have further problems.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 23 March 2016 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users