Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashdrive not recognized by PC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ReneeIII

ReneeIII

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

Since this morning I can not get my laptop or desktop to recognize my flashdrive. Fortunately i have a backup flashdrive. This 1 is the newest 1 though. Went to work and found on the laptop I had left a word page open which had come from the flashdrive. For to close the document I had to save it to documents on the laptop. Can not get the pc to recognize the flashdrive either.

I have a pc with windows 7 and another with ubuntu 15.10. Is there a way to get a pc to recognize the flashdrive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

I would say the flash drive is dead if neither Windows 7 nor Ubuntu recognizes it.

#3 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

I would say the flash drive is dead if neither Windows 7 nor Ubuntu recognizes it.

That makes me sad. This flashdrive is new and the only 1 with 3 speed.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

I have a pc with windows 7 and another with ubuntu 15.10. Is there a way to get a pc to recognize the flashdrive?

Have you tried booting into Ubuntu and looking at the USB drive using Gparted?

#5 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

Have you tried booting into Ubuntu and looking at the USB drive using Gparted?

I do not know how to do that. Could you please explain or send a link that explains it.

Edited by ReneeIII, 20 March 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

As Nick is away right now I'll try and help you.

You can install Gparted using either your software manager or simply by typing

sudo apt-get install gparted

from your shell.

Once installed you can run straight from your prompt (by typing gparted) or navigate to the application through your menu.

Once run, Gparted will scan your system for all readable drives and check for formatting. There is a drop down box on the top right hand corner of the application that allows you to choose from your various drives. If your USB drive appears here you can select it. Once selected (if it does appear) you should choose to reformat it entirely to fat32. All data will be lost, so be 100% sure you are selecting the correct drive. This should restore your usb drive to a fresh condition that would make it readable by all machines.

Here is the Gparted manual for details

#7 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

As Nick is away right now I'll try and help you.

You can install Gparted using either your software manager or simply by typing

sudo apt-get install gparted
Thanks!! After I finish updating laptop I will go to my desktop and try it.

Edited by ReneeIII, 21 March 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#8 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

In terminal pasted sudo apt-get install gparted. Result was-

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:16 PM

I am not sure why you get that error. A BC Advisor will help with that but for now attach the flash drive to the Ubuntu computer and in terminal copy and paste the following command. Post the output.

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,model

Do you get an error if installing GParted using Ubuntu's Software Center found in the launcher? You should be able to search for Gparted in the Software Center.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 March 2016 - 02:17 PM.

#10 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

I am not sure why you get that error. A BC Advisor will help with that but for now attach the flash drive to the Ubuntu computer and in terminal copy and paste the following command. Post the output.

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,model

Do you get an error if installing GParted using Ubuntu's Software Center found in the launcher? You should be able to search for Gparted in the Software Center.

NAME   LABEL   SIZE FSTYPE MOUNTPOINT      MODEL
sda          596.2G                        WDC WD6400AAKS-6
├─sda1       593.4G ext4   /               
├─sda2           1K                        
└─sda5         2.8G swap   [SWAP]          
sdc            7.5G                        VAFD8GAR        
└─sdc1 V7      7.5G vfat   /media/brain/V7
sr0           1024M                        DVD A  DH16ABLH

Dowloaded GParted. Have to make a note to download it when I reinstall ubuntu. I just recently reinstalled ubuntu.

Got GParted opened. Do not know what to do with it.

Attached Files

Edited by ReneeIII, 21 March 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

How big is your flash drive, 8GB? It is listed as having a vfat file system. Is there any data you need off the flash drive?

In Gparted click on dropdown box that is currently showing /dev/sda  and change it to /dev/sdc. Post another screenshot.

#12 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

How big is your flash drive, 8GB? It is listed as having a vfat file system. Is there any data you need off the flash drive?

In Gparted click on dropdown box that is currently showing /dev/sda  and change it to /dev/sdc. Post another screenshot.

It is 16GB All are already dev/sda

Did GPartedRefresh Devices = no change

DeviceAttempt Data Rescue = Command gpart was not found

I think I have a copy of everything that is on the disk. Thus main object is to make it usable.

Instructions- In Gparted click on dropdown box that is currently showing /dev/sda  and change it to /dev/sdc. I do not understand how to change the name.

Edited by ReneeIII, 21 March 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

In the output of the lsblk command you show a sdc device of 7.5GB formatted as vfat. The model listed is a V7-VAFD8GAR which according to Cnet is 8GB. Where did you purchase this flash drive from and did the seller say it was 16GB?

In Gparted there is no /dev/sdc listed when you click the dropdown box? 

gparted-choose-device.jpg

#14 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:53 PM

In the output of the lsblk command you show a sdc device of 7.5GB formatted as vfat. The model listed is a V7-VAFD8GAR which according to Cnet is 8GB. Where did you purchase this flash drive from and did the seller say it was 16GB?

V7 is another flashdrive on the tower. Ejected it. One I am trying to recover is PNY 16GB from Best Buy. Now pic of gparted after V7 ejected.

I do not understand how to change the name /dev/sda  and change it to /dev/sdc. I see no option to change name.

Attached Files

Edited by ReneeIII, 21 March 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

If you do the lsblk command again with the PNY attached what is the output. If you do not see your flash drive listed and this is a new PNY flash drive I would contact them and ask for a replacement or take it back to Best Buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users