Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot loops with all new hardware

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 xer 21

xer 21

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:17 PM

So i made a post on hete weeks ago that no one ever responded to, but i transferred my parts to a new case and it boot looped woth no post code. After weeks of trouble shooting, i found out my mobo was cooked. So i dropped 1000 bucks on a new cpu, motherboard and ram, waited, got them, out it in the case, and voila....boot loops

I mean, its all new parts outside of the hard drives, psu (ehich i had tested) and gpu, and it boot looos with post codes thst tell me its not getting very far in the initialization but cant help me pinpoint a problem (no error codes, just spontaneous restarting). I cant get into the bios and the only codes i ever see are either C5 or 19.

Its a gigabyte z170x ud5 mobo
Intel i7 6700k
16 gb g skill ripjaws v ddr4 ram at 3000 mnhz
Evga acx 2.0 gtx 970.
Corsair ax760i psu
A pair of western digital hard drive.
Noctua nh c14s cooler.
In Win 904 plus case
I mean, at this point, it has to be the case right? I guarantee its mounted on the standoffs properly and the backplate clears the mobo tray. I dont know what else to do though.

Please, seriously, i really need help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

If you also replaced the PSU then I would say it is the case. It could be the power switch of the case. You can pull the switch from the motherboard and short the two pins on the motherboard to start the computer and see if it boot loops. If it does then try breadboarding the components. Take the case out of the equation.

See if pulling the video card, keyboard, and mouse gives you a post beep. 

See this video first for advanced troubleshooting.

#3 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

I didnt replace the psu but i had it tested at a shop 2 weeks ago.

Sigh. I suppose ill try taking everythimg out. Its a pain in the ass in this case, probably wont have time to do it til tuesday. Ill update i guess. Ill try the switch thing tonight though.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

I would also pull your video card and keyboard/mouse if shorting the two pins does not give a post code. I am assuming you are still using the same video card, correct?

#5 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

Yes, i am. I took the switch jumpers off, no chsnge. It still posts the same codes, and the boot loop is erratic just the same (sometimes 5 or 6 seconds, sometimes 2 seconds sometimes only momentarily before it restarts.

#6 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

I would also pull your video card and keyboard/mouse if shorting the two pins does not give a post code. I am assuming you are still using the same video card, correct?

tried what you said just now. No changes.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:51 PM

If you get the same issue after breadboarding the motherboard then I would suspect the PSU is at fault. A PSU can check okay but fail under a load. Do you know anyone who could loan you a PSU? Maybe the 4/8 pin connector for the CPU is at fault. 

#8 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

No, i dont know anyone with a powersupply. And i just bought new cables for this.

I dont understand how a psu could fail just from transferring cases.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

I was going under the assumption that the only thing left after breadboarding would be the PSU as everything else is new except the PSU, video card, and case.  If the motherboard posts outside the case then there may be some kind of short. If it does not post outside the case then I would look at the PSU. It could be just a coincidence that something happened to the PSU but you really don't know until you get everything outside of the case.

Edit: Another thing to check is the motherboard standoffs. See post #14 here. Also post #20. It may be your CPU backplate touching the case.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#10 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

Ill let you know on tuesday probably. Dont have time to take evertyhing out of the case today.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

Okay,  Good Luck.

#12 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

I was going under the assumption that the only thing left after breadboarding would be the PSU as everything else is new except the PSU, video card, and case.  If the motherboard posts outside the case then there may be some kind of short. If it does not post outside the case then I would look at the PSU. It could be just a coincidence that something happened to the PSU but you really don't know until you get everything outside of the case.

Edit: Another thing to check is the motherboard standoffs. See post #14 here. Also post #20. It may be your CPU backplate touching the case.

If i dont have a multimeter, is there any other way to check the standoffs?

I checked the backplate though, it's not touching, there's a solid quarter inch of clearance.

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

Some MOBO assemblies come with a metal frame to go around the connector bank at the rear.  I have seen these flexible plates, some with little fingers that flex, bend and reposition themselves, shorting the power supply at those traces.  Just another possible, overlooked point of shorting.  one reason a reassembly outside the case, minus any options should get a beep code, if the speaker is attached.  Does it have a speaker??  None of mine do anymore, don't even have the option.

Edited by mjd420nova, 21 March 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#14 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

it doesnt have a speaker as far as i know, but it has a code display.

Im not using the IO shield.  the case im using is designed not to use an IO shield.

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Sometimes it takes a couple hours to digest all the symptoms and past service histories come to light.  Something tells me that the BIOS has a problem if you can't get to it.  With plugin video cards, the first culprit is the card not getting full power.  On board video BIOS is incorporated in the CPU BIOS so you won't see a video flash screen.  Either the CPU isn't starting, (no power) or the power supply is not fully connected to the MOBO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users