Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ddnhf

Ddnhf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

I'm currently having troubles getting a pc I recently bought off a friend working. Currently whenever I turn on the computer an error pops up saying "ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed". Now when I got that error I was assuming I needed to install WIndows onto it, but when I put the disk in, it still wouldn't boot to the disk. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

I have an Acer Aspire MC605.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

I think your hard drive has failed. Have you blown dust out of the connectors? Does the drive work in another pc?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Ddnhf

Ddnhf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

Haven't tried blowing dust out of the connectors & I currently don't have another pc that uses SATA cables. I heard that you could use laptop hard drives (my brother said he's using them on his) and when I tried using one that I know for sure works, I got the same error.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

Sounds like Captain is right..... test your hard drive a follows:

I will assume that your laptop has an internal CD drive; if not, post back. Increasing numbers do not have CD drives lately.

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

Now when I got that error I was assuming I needed to install WIndows onto it, but when I put the disk in, it still wouldn't boot to the disk. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD is the first device and the HDD/SSD the second device in the boot order?

Do you see your hdd in the BIOS?

When you open the BIOS see if there is a diagnostic tool for the hdd.

Edited by dc3, 21 March 2016 - 10:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Ddnhf

Ddnhf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD is the first device and the HDD/SSD the second device in the boot order?

Do you see your hdd in the BIOS?

When you open the BIOS see if there is a diagnostic tool for the hdd.

Yes I changed the boot order, and I do see the hddi n the BIOS. I'm not sure why but there isn't a diagnostic tool for the hdd.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

I'm not sure why but there isn't a diagnostic tool for the hdd.

Ddnht....read my post #4 above.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users