Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reinstall windows with my media recovery usb drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mspacman

mspacman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

My Windows 8.1 OS laptop is experiencing a lot of issues

1. Keeps disconnecting from my WiFi
  2. Keeps freezing
  3. It occasionally blue screens
  4. It won't upgrade to Windows 10 

I have a media recovery usb from dell and when I try to use it, I get an error that says "Could not find the recovery environment"

Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

Create a new bootable usb flash drive using the media creation tool here. I would not use the flash drive dell gave you. You may need to install drivers after the installing 8.1 as this is not a dell specific install disk. Did the computer come pre-installed with Windows 8?

I would first pull your Windows key using produkey and write it down in case it's required during the install.  Preinstalled Windows 8 has the key embedded in firmware.You can verify this by downloading FirmwareTablesView. Look under the MSDM table and compare it to the key you obtained using produkey. Do they match?

http://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios

#3 mspacman

mspacman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the computer came installed with Windows 8 and I upgraded it to 8.1 so the key is embedded in the firmware. I had tried using another app to view it and I couldn't. I'll verify that using the method you suggested though.

If you don't mind me asking, why shouldn't I use the one that came from dell? Wouldn't that have all the drivers that I need on it? 

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

I'd make a guess and say the Dell recovery USB is looking for the recovery partition on your hard drive and can't find it.  Instead of putting more effort into trying to figure out why that is happening, you could just as easily create a USB or DVD to reinstall your system.

#5 mspacman

mspacman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Create a new bootable usb flash drive using the media creation tool here. I would not use the flash drive dell gave you. You may need to install drivers after the installing 8.1 as this is not a dell specific install disk. Did the computer come pre-installed with Windows 8?

I would first pull your Windows key using produkey and write it down in case it's required during the install.  Preinstalled Windows 8 has the key embedded in firmware.You can verify this by downloading FirmwareTablesView. Look under the MSDM table and compare it to the key you obtained using produkey. Do they match?

http://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios

I have the new bootable usb & I've pulled my product key with produkey. I also checked FirmwareTablesView and the product keys match.

Edited by mspacman, 20 March 2016 - 02:16 PM.

#6 mspacman

mspacman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

I'd make a guess and say the Dell recovery USB is looking for the recovery partition on your hard drive and can't find it.  Instead of putting more effort into trying to figure out why that is happening, you could just as easily create a USB or DVD to reinstall your system.

Ok, that makes sense. I know that partition is there because I checked, but it is very likely corrupted.

#7 mspacman

mspacman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

I seem to have another problem. Boot from USB isn't available in the Advanced Start options.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,447 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

This is after tapping F12 at boot? If the media creation tool was successful you should see your USB flash drive listed. Make sure you have the USB flash drive in a black USB 2.0 port and not a blue USB 3.0 port if your computer supports USB 3.0

I believe the Media Creation Tool I linked to allows you to create an iso file. You can use a utility called Rufus to create the bootable flash drive. Run Rufus and select GPT partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the icon and browse to your iso file. Press Start. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users