Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

booting external hard drives with linux

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stickguy123

stickguy123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

I am trying to boot my envy from an external hard drive with linux on it. When I have it pluggen in to the computer and turn it on it just boots to windows which is on the internal hard drive. I know the hard drive is not the problem because it worked on other computers. I have changed the bios to usb as number 1 in the boot order but it still doesn't work. I have been rescearching the web for a while but there is nothing that works. Any help would be very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

Attach the external and tap F9 when booting the computer. Does it give you a boot menu where you can select your external drive? If not you may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI settings. If you have a Quickboot/Fastboot setting in UEFI disable that too.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443326

#3 stickguy123

stickguy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

I get to that screen no problem but the external drive just doesn't show up.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Is SecureBoot disabled in UEFI? 

I am not sure what model number of envy or if this is the problem. You may have USB 3.0 ports that are blue and or labeled SS.  When attaching the external drive make sure it's in a USB 2.0 port which is black in color.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hi

A few more details would be helpful,

What distro have you installed?

How was it installed?

Did you install grub?

What version of Windows are you using?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 stickguy123

stickguy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

I have ubuntu 15.10 on the external hard drive. I have windows 10 on the internal hard drive. The computer came with windows 8. The external hard drive was installed with a old desktop that would boot the install dvd. grub is on the external hard drive also. I also noticed when I used the external hard drive on the other computer, when grub comes up, windows xp which is on the internal hard drive of the old computer comes up as one of the choices. Maybe is there a way to install grub or some other bootloader within windows.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

I have windows 10 on the internal hard drive.

Have you turned off fast boot in Windows 10.

1526844273443938480.png

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users