Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mozilla Firefox won't auto-update stating it is updated

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brunoais

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

Some months ago, while having firefox 41, I got an adware that I believe that came in from flash.
At the first signs some resources on my PC were not corresponding to my usage and the programs I had opened, I noticed its presence using Task Manager. Unfortunately, It had already installed some extensions and had changed the home page of my 2 browsers (IE and Firefox).
In 1-2 hours, I was able to remove almost all traces of the adaware. No registery keys, no ProgramData, no %appdata% and no browser addons were left out when I got rid of it.
Since then, I've been noticing that firefox is unable to update automatically.
I do not use the update service because I want to know when it wants to update and I want to see what is new every time it updates.

As the time when firefox had been changed and this adaware happened seem to quincide, same as being convenient not wanting me to keep my browser for the adaware program, I guess it was the adaware that changed some file or configuration... Maybe in the registry.

So far, I can confirm the following:

1. There's no record in the registry with either "mozilla" or "firefox" as a key or Value with an incorrect value
    1. Note: I can't say anything about missing keys or values, though.
  2. If I go to Firefox's "about" window, it says it is updated.
  3. When the auto-update window popups, it says it failed to connect to the update server.

Things that do NOT work:

1. Making a new firefox profile and work with it.
  2. Reinstall firefox (no matter which version).
    1. ... And not deleting any of the previous data.
  3. Install a different firefox version into a clean directory and make a new profile with it.

So far, I believe the adaware did one of:

1. Delete a registry key
    1. I doubt because reinstalling won't solve it
  2. Deleted a security-related file, a certificate, for example.
  3. Changed values on a file so that firefox tried to update somewhere else

Although I believe in those, they may not be the truth.

That's all I know.

Thanks in advance.
I was using windows 7 at the time of the adaware but I'm using windows 10 now.

P.S. Please fix the forum's editor buttons so that they work when I'm in source mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Try SFC to look for and attempt to fix corrupt system files.  Start an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  You could also download & run MalwareBytes to make sure you've gotten rid of any malware on your system.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 brunoais

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:37 AM

MalwareBytes didn't find anything.

SFC, though, found errors but it was unable to fix them. I have the log file here. Can you diagnose it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users