Some months ago, while having firefox 41, I got an adware that I believe that came in from flash.
At the first signs some resources on my PC were not corresponding to my usage and the programs I had opened, I noticed its presence using Task Manager. Unfortunately, It had already installed some extensions and had changed the home page of my 2 browsers (IE and Firefox).
In 1-2 hours, I was able to remove almost all traces of the adaware. No registery keys, no ProgramData, no %appdata% and no browser addons were left out when I got rid of it.
Since then, I've been noticing that firefox is unable to update automatically.
I do not use the update service because I want to know when it wants to update and I want to see what is new every time it updates.
As the time when firefox had been changed and this adaware happened seem to quincide, same as being convenient not wanting me to keep my browser for the adaware program, I guess it was the adaware that changed some file or configuration... Maybe in the registry.
So far, I can confirm the following:
- There's no record in the registry with either "mozilla" or "firefox" as a key or Value with an incorrect value
- Note: I can't say anything about missing keys or values, though.
- If I go to Firefox's "about" window, it says it is updated.
- When the auto-update window popups, it says it failed to connect to the update server.
Things that do NOT work:
- Making a new firefox profile and work with it.
- Reinstall firefox (no matter which version).
- ... And not deleting any of the previous data.
- Install a different firefox version into a clean directory and make a new profile with it.
So far, I believe the adaware did one of:
- Delete a registry key
- I doubt because reinstalling won't solve it
- Deleted a security-related file, a certificate, for example.
- Changed values on a file so that firefox tried to update somewhere else
Although I believe in those, they may not be the truth.
That's all I know.
Thanks in advance.
I was using windows 7 at the time of the adaware but I'm using windows 10 now.
P.S. Please fix the forum's editor buttons so that they work when I'm in source mode.