Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Soooo Slow At Startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Aberfocation

Aberfocation

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:24 AM

HellO!
Can anyone help me?my computer takes around 10-20mins just to start up.And it always hang and auto restart.What can i do? :thumbsup:
Computer Nubie =X

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:23 AM

The thing to do is first manage your startup menu to disable everything that you do not need to run in the background. Things like Realplayer, Adobe viewer, Microsoft Office or any of its components.

What you do want running are system aps and anti-malware aps like your anti-virus program, anti-spyware and anti-malware aps,

Use Startup Inspector to manage your start-up menu:

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

After you do that, read the following and do as it instructs:

How to handle spontaneous reboots in Windows XP:

When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.

Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
1.Right-click My Computer.
2.Select Properties.
3.In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4 In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5 A new window will open:

1.Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
2.Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.
Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

Copy the exact (and complete) message you see in the blue screen and post it here so we can diagnose the cause and help you repair the problem that's causing it.

#3 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:19 AM

Thanks Alot..i will get the message of the error asap.. Thanks^^ :thumbsup:
Computer Nubie =X

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:51 AM

One other thing - do you use any Symantic anti-virus product?
Try disabling it (disconnected from the internet) and see if that speeds up your boot-up.
It just might, and considerably.

#5 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:12 AM

Hmmm..i found out e error for it..Its PARTMGR.SYS hmm.. can i ask wad can i do to get rid of e error?
Computer Nubie =X

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:25 AM

Have you installed or uninstalled any software recently or updated or changed drivers for anything?

Open your device manager and see if there are any yellow or red warning icons in any of the sections.

#7 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:01 AM

hMmm? how to see if its red or yellow=X i dont see anything lol only normal colour..hmm anyone teach me?
Computer Nubie =X

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:41 AM

Open your device manager by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and choosing "Properties"

Click the "Hardware" tab and then press the "Device Manager" button.

Yellow or red waring icons will be obvious.

#9 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:57 PM

Theres No colour at all..All looKs Normal..Hmm..does reformating my comp helps?
Computer Nubie =X

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:26 AM

Don't go to that extreme yet. Read this post about Slow Computers and follow its suggestions. Enthusiast has already told you about applications to see what's running at startup. If you are unsure about a start-up task, search for it in the Startup List to learn more about it. Please ask about anything you are not entirely certain about, and we'll walk you through.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:43 AM

Hmmm..Ok i will see to that..But my slow comp is in a sense of windows loading time when u switch on ur comp after the "Beep" sound from ur mainboard u will go into a window loading page and it takes ard 10-20mins for it to load before i can go into the enter ur password to administrator account.
Computer Nubie =X

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

Did you manage your startup menu to disable unnecessary aps from loading at startup? Aps you disable in startup will still be available when you need them but theywon't load when Windows starts taking system resources running in the background and will allow Windows to boot a lot quicker (as in my previous post on 8/2)

#13 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:05 AM

Ehss..i reformatted my computer but when i click on the internet explorer icon my whole computer will restart..Help!
Computer Nubie =X

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:18 AM

What did you use to reformat and reinstall? A Windows Installation disk, a manufacturer's Restore disk or a Restore partition?

You might try repairing IE

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/

#15 Aberfocation

Aberfocation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:34 AM

Hmmm...i use the orginal window XP cd that include service pack1a.and i reinstalled.then my internet cannot open once open e whole comp will restart by itself and i Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure but no error came out but just auto restart.
Computer Nubie =X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users