Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Will Happen To The Internet Now That We Have Adblock ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:45 AM

first let me say that firefox is the untimate browser ever. its extensions are SO COOL :thumbsup:

i have extensions that block ads and such. thats great for me and others, BUT...

websites make money by using advertisements. if everyone starts blocking every ad, i fear what will happen to the internet. is anyone else worried? Posted Image i dont see how it can continue to exist. whats to stop a lot of sites from shutting down?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

I think the simplest analogy to give you is the "Burma Shave" signs that used to be dotted along many road sides in years long past.

They were in your face, presented a message that attracted the attention of many, and helped to sell the product.

Newspaper, magazine, radio, TV Ads, etc, all accomplish the same thing whether or not you believe it. They all sell product.

The same thing holds true for the WWW ads... only on a much larger scale now.

Maybe you and some other www users never click on such adverts, but hundreds of thousands of others do so.
Even if one never actually clicks on the Ads, it's still there in the back of your mind the next time you buy a similar product. That's what advertising and marketing is all about.

Whether it's a "Burma Shave" sign at the side of the road long ago, the Tobacco signs that used to be painted on the side of barns, or today's current methods of advertising... Spam pays.

And you buy!

Google is your spamming friend.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:21 AM

ads dont work when they're blocked though.

an analogy of my own would be painting over those road signs with black paint. now how will the ad work?

Edited by Mr_Freeware, 02 August 2006 - 06:22 AM.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:27 AM

With adblock you have to block them yourself and then you have already seen the ad for the product and it may come to mind later...

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

if everyone starts blocking every ad

Brand new users every day and many don't have any form of blocker. Trust me, just go look at the HJT forum. As long as the cycle of new users every day continues, revenue will be made. Fear not.

Be (Be David Hannum, not PT Barnum quote) Safe
this explains my "Be (quote) Safe" reference above :thumbsup:
Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users