Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend a browser? None function properly they all have flaws I can't fix

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

Firefox will not let me connect to certain sites - it says they are unsecure even though there is no way that suddenly 5 or more sites a day are unsecure and one is my bank which I am certain is secure.   This started happening suddenly about a month ago.   Sometimes it LETS ME add an exception - I must agree that I know I should have my head examined for questioning their judgment so if my computer blows up its not their fault.   SOMETIMES it doesn't give me the "Add an exception" option so basically its YOU'RE NOT GETTING ON THAT SITE PERIOD.

So I downloaded Chrome - that won't work because I have two email addresses one is Gmail and one is aol.   It won't let me log on to aol - it keeps telling me I have the wrong password.    At sign in it doesn't list my name followed with the @aol.com which seems to be the problem   it just has the name of my account minus the @aol -    If I type in the name with @aol it reverts to the name on w/o the aol so I cannot access my email.

I downloaded Opera but it keeps telling me I have cookies disabled but I don't and then it says I must clear my cache and all sorts of other crap.

IS THERE A BROWSER I CAN SIGN ONTO THAT WORKS?    I'm really frustrated as using my computer feels like an obstacle course to see if I can get around all the barriers the browsers throw up.

Edited by JayJax, 19 March 2016 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

Seems you may have others issues if all Browsers dont function they way you would expect them to.

Or Something Blocking them , another Addon or Program ? 

Or try logins from another PC and see if any issues still arise.

Otherwise Uninstall all those Browsers and then try Reinstalling Chrome again.

Handy if you Know for sure all Usernames and Passwords Correctly - Write them down and secure safely.

I prefer and use Maxthon Browser   http://www.maxthon.com/  you can try it if others fail.

Edited by Havachat, 19 March 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:29 AM

I was going to recommend Netscape 0.9 -- however, that would show my age.  [Anyone remember Mosaic?]

Concerning Firefox, what addons, plugins, extensions do you have that give FF security?  I'm suspecting one or more giving you sudden grief due to their updates, dunno for sure.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

I'm using Chrome right now.  I just started a new tab and successfully signed on to AOL.  You have a problem other than your browser.  I'm also using Firefox, which I've been using since version 3, and not having any problems with it except for Pandora (which doesn't work with the Adobe flash add-on).

I'd scan for corrupt system files with SFC.  Open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  It will run 15 - 20 minutes.  After that download and scan with MalwareBytes.  If you do these and still have problems, you might want to post in the Am I Infected forum.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

I'm using Chrome right now.  I just started a new tab and successfully signed on to AOL.  You have a problem other than your browser.  I'm also using Firefox, which I've been using since version 3, and not having any problems with it except for Pandora (which doesn't work with the Adobe flash add-on).

I'd scan for corrupt system files with SFC.  Open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  It will run 15 - 20 minutes.  After that download and scan with MalwareBytes.  If you do these and still have problems, you might want to post in the Am I Infected forum.

Good luck.

After the scan was complete there was a notice that it found some corrupt files but was not able to fix them all - I tried to copy the notice about where I could find the report but when I did the report disappeared and I was back at the point to initiate a scan.   So I have some corrupt files but I'm not sure where to find them - I guess I could run the scan again.

Edited by JayJax, 20 March 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

I was going to recommend Netscape 0.9 -- however, that would show my age.  [Anyone remember Mosaic?]

Concerning Firefox, what addons, plugins, extensions do you have that give FF security?  I'm suspecting one or more giving you sudden grief due to their updates, dunno for sure.

I just a few moments ago added Cyscon Security Shield.   I have Webmail Ad Blocker and also AdBlock Plus Other than that the Extensions are just scroll bars and themes etc. except for Cookie Keeper Preferences but I really haven't been using it don't remember adding it actually.   I try not to do too many plug-ins they can have "side-effects".  Thanks.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Seems you may have others issues if all Browsers dont function they way you would expect them to.

Or Something Blocking them , another Addon or Program ? 

Or try logins from another PC and see if any issues still arise.

Otherwise Uninstall all those Browsers and then try Reinstalling Chrome again.

Handy if you Know for sure all Usernames and Passwords Correctly - Write them down and secure safely.

I prefer and use Maxthon Browser   http://www.maxthon.com/  you can try it if others fail.

Thanks I'm going to download this browser and check it out.

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

I am still getting the message periodically that the site is unsecure.   I had already downloaded a few programs a few months ago that I ran (JRT and MTB) - I don't know how to read them if there's anything there or not - guess I will see what happens.    I always had good luck with fixing my computer using a program I got here on BC but last time I tried to use it I guess it doesn't work on my version of Windows 8.1.

The Maxthon seems to be working okay - I guess I'll just continue to see what happens

What is FIPS?  I was just looking at my Firefox options and noticed that FIPS was not activated and I have no idea whether it should be or not?

though I think there is something wrong because either in Firefox or my computer - I made note of it a couple months ago here on BC I keep getting this popup Survey for Time Warner that I have blocked with Firefox but it still comes thru.  

Edited by JayJax, 21 March 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

The survey pop-up I have been getting is not legitimate as far as i know because I block it using Firefox options and still it continues to pop-up in the background and so I don't see it sometimes for a while.    Anyway I did a search just now and found someone complaining of the same thing only its not about Time Warner it was about DSL I believe.  He posted images of the whole thing at the link below.

Here is a link to the page - what pops up looks EXACTLY like this except like I said mine is for Time Warner.  I'm very careful about downloading programs from unknown sources so I'm not sure what this is or how I ended up with it.   I have never taken the survey I just close it out.  I think the person at the link below apparently completed the survey.  I had blocked the pop-up (I will have to check and see if I still have the web/name address of the party involved) everything but then somehow it got unblocked again might have been from a system restore.   Anyway I got the survey popup against last night.  

Based on the info at the link below it is a scam because after he took the survey he got a notice about a free trial of some product he was going to get and I know from several years ago if you get involved with that its a ripoff IF you get the free trial there is no chance to cancel it and return the product like it says you must and so then they say you are subscribed and they won't cancel it - so its a total scam and I doubt either DSL or Time Warner would engage in such a thing because its fraudulent and while I get irritated with Time Warner I don't think they'd want to be involved people get mad enough without that.

If anyone has any suggestions based on the link below because like I said the popup I get is identical except for the carrier.   I have Malware bites and rant JRT and MTB tonight - don't know if it made a difference or not will have to wait to see if this annoying thing happens again.   Sorry to be so wordy but anyway.

Not sure if this pop-up thing has to do with the unsecure site notice.   I'm thinking it might be a corrupted Firefox issue so maybe I will post on the Firefox forum.

http://www.onecitizenspeaking.com/2015/05/to-the-pop-up-scammers-at-wwwisp-surveycom.html

Edited by JayJax, 21 March 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

Incidentally - I was looking just now at my options and I noticed that I have a Certificate for login at login.yahoo.com (says it is a built-in object token) but I don't have yahoo - I got rid of it as it was a pain over a year ago.    I saw it (the yahoo.com thing)  last night and deleted it but now I see it is back again.   Could this have anything to do with the message about  unsecure site certificate?  

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:13 AM

I would think - some scans under guidance to fix would be appropriate at this stage.

Ask a Moderator to move this to the "Am I Infected" Area.

After some Scans and Posts , they will have a better idea of what is going on , and a remedy to fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users