Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding author to a png image?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 supercain

supercain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hi,

I am on Windows 7 and I cant find how to add the author or any other properties for a png file I created. The only thing I can modify is the shooting time which I dont need. I have searched the entire net and nobody seems to have a straight answer. I even asked on many renown forums but no response at all. Why is such a taboo? You can easily do it with jpeg files but not with png. What can I do?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

Quick Google  - Read Here , May Help , May Not.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/3699/how-do-i-go-about-editing-the-metadata-of-a-png-file

#3 supercain

supercain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:45 AM

Man, I can use google too... I had already seen that page and tried those options but no use so I was expecting an answer from somebody who actually knew how to do it.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

To be fair, if you're going to ban people from offering anything you've already seen, how are people going to know if what they hope could be useful is something you've already had no success with?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 supercain

supercain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:04 AM

Im not banning anybody. Its just that the guy doesnt seem quite interested in actually helping. Its like those guys that give you this link instead of giving you a useful answer.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

He DOES seem interested in wanting to help you.

You did mention that you did an exhaustive search but could not find out how to do what you want.

Unfortunately, he is not a mind-reader. Neither is anyone else. We are not sitting next to you.

We have no way of knowing WHAT you have tried, what sites you have looked at.

Due to the number of sites that will be listed in your search results and the number of suggestions to try, it would be almost impossible to list what you DID look at/tried.

A simple "I have already tried that, thank you for trying to help" is sufficient.

#7 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

As far as I know, .PNG files can't retain metadata or properties like the ones you mentioned. I've never found a way to add anything to it without requiring software to do so. You'll have to go with .jpg if you want to add metadata if you don't want to bother with any potentially dodgy software.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

My suggestion here is to use a watermark on the image, if you're goign to share a picture and want to make sure you get credited for it a watermark in the corner (just open up any image editing program and add some text to the image) makes it very easy for those seeing/downloading/using the image to know who to credit. Wanting to make sure you get credit for images you share would strike me as the only reason for wanting to put some sort of author metadata onto a png file, but a watermark is more obvious and where people would probably never notice the author attribute and hence never credit you they will always see the watermark. or you could convert the files in question to jpg, open them up in ms paint and then save them as jpg files.

Edited by rp88, 28 April 2016 - 01:16 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:14 PM

Just throwing this out here since I do not deal with png on a regular basis.  Have you tried EXIF GUI?

Edited to correct post

The actual program name is EXIFtool Gui

Edited by johnmeehan, 28 April 2016 - 11:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users