Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help explorer.exe (or something else) has screwed up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Benngalaska

Benngalaska

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

I was installing amds catalyst control center and I was uninstalling and overdrive at the same time. The computer froze so I was forced to reboot with power button. I logged in and my desktop files were gone it said it was not responding and I could not access my files. I tried loading into safe mode but I still couldn't access my files. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

If you don't have backups,  bring up the File Explorer and look at Onedrive.  If you haven't changed the settings for Onedrive, you'll find your pictures and documents folders have been automatically backed up there.  In earlier versions of Windows, you could also look at Previous Versions, but in Windows 10 I just noticed on my laptop that none of my folders have previous versions.  I guess MS disabled that when they came out with Onedrive.  I've been running Windows 10 since 10/1/2014 but never noticed that before.  Harrumph!

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $50 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck. 

Edited by Niweg, 19 March 2016 - 03:19 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Benngalaska

Benngalaska
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

I cannot access my files short of cmd

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

You could try booting Linux & see if you can get to the files that way.  You can download Linux Mint from here:

https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php .  Burn the ISO to a DVD & boot from it.  You don't have to install anything and it has a user interface similar to Windows.  Worth a try.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users