Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All things die . . . including computers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Maybe just a system factory reset is all that's needed.  That would get you a clean BIOS, no infection.  Some infections will attack the "flash" function of the BIOS, just like you can update online.  The firmware chip, cannot be corrupted and will load on a factory reset.  Then if things get to working and you can clean the viruses out, a BIOS update maybe called for after getting it all backed up.  BIOS updates have been know to be the source of some nasty things, so beware of where you download from is legitimate.

Edited by mjd420nova, 23 March 2016 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

When you say a factory reset, do you mean using the Dell recovery disk to reinstall windows Vista?

#18 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:34 AM

A system restore uses a partition on the hdd which contains the files necessary to revert the operating system to the condition is was in when it left the factory.  

You can find instructions for doing this at Dell Support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#19 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Ok, I thought you had meant a reinstallation of the operating system with a dell recovery disk. I had done a system restore to a restore point a month prior to when these crashes started happening but that didn't resolve the problem. 

#20 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2016 - 12:38 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#21 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

I would much sooner believe your hard drive is failing than that you'd need a BIOS update.  Your computer is 9 years old, and the average life of hard drives is less than that.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#22 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

The system passed the Sea Tools For Windows Long Generic test. The log file choice was shown in the drop down menu of the help menu but There were no log files shown. I forgot to mention, and I don't know if this means anything, my McAfee Anti Virus software was stuck at 68% for a week when trying to update. I had called McAfee and that was fixed today. The system has yet to crash afterwards but I'm not holding my breath

Edited by godzilla1347, 25 March 2016 - 06:31 PM.

#23 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

I thought the issue was resolved. It appears that My Macaffee Antivirus subscription had expired but I didn't know because Cablevision, my ISP, offers it for free and no notices come out when the software expires and had to be reinstalled. So I went ahead and did that and for the past 10 days, I had no problem until last night. As the system passed the Sea Tools for Windows Long Generic Test, i had assumed the hard drive was ok but last night, when going online, the mouse froze in place and I couldn't access anything. The only thing I could do is cold boot, which initially solved the problem but the same thing happened later on and again today. I also got one of those blue screens that said that Windows is shutting down. I then did a thorough MacAffee Antivirus scan and there were no infections.

So I'm wondering if that Sea Tools for Windows test picks up issues with the motherboard. I'm not sure what the problem is if the hard drive tested ok and there are no viruses present. Could the registry been corrupted? If so, I could do a fresh system reinstall with the Dell Recovery disk. If I get the same problems, i'll then know it's not the registry but I was hoping to avoid that.

Meanwhile I went out and bought a new computer running Windows 10 in case this Vista system is about to be pronounced dead. I could buy a new internal hard drive but if the Sea tools test didn't find any hard drive errors, I'm not sure what to do next. Is there a test for the motherboard?  Obviously, the smart thing to do is simply start using the new computer but I would like to know what's going on with this one simply because I've grown attached to it and also like to learn how to address these issues when they come up and how to try to troubleshoot them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users