Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GWX question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

I am going to scrub and reload my tower, no issues just that it has been up for 4 years.  I want to make sure it stays clear of "10", I have GWX on all three machines. I wan to start fresh out of the box, I will not let it on the net are there any tips I should know about?

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

Remove GWX from your machine if you are not planning on updating to 10.

Warning!! When installing un-locker watch for the third party app offer.

GBGiFur.png

Download & Install Unlocker then everything tool.

Type GWX  in the Everything search window.

• Click Edit.
    • Select All.
    • Right Click Selected Items.
    • Choose Unlocker.
    • Choose Delete
    • Then Unlock All.
    • You may see a prompt to reboot.
    • If so then please reboot, to continue removing the files.

Then follow up with this tool.

Download Destroy Windows Spying to your desktop, right click run as administrator.

Click on the highlighted button in the picture below allow completion.

Z5LYJol.png

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 19 March 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

Ok you just blind sided me!  You are saying ditch GWX in favor of the items in your post.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

If you do not want to upgrade to windows 10, and you are tired of the GWX pestering you to upgrade. Then follow the steps to rid your machine of it.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

GWX is on two lappies and the tower, I have never been pestered.  I will try your info when I scrub the tower.

Phil

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

If you do not plan to upgrade, then this is an effective way to rid your machine of GWX. Also, if you are not going to allow the machine that you "Scrub" To access the internet after you are done, then I would install only service pack one on it. ( Assuming this is windows 7) Then make sure you are cautious when you put a USB in it, making sure to scan it with a machine with internet. here is a program for scanning usb for malware.

Once you have Service Pack 1 installed then I would suggest to grab any programs you need from here. Also, install .netframework off the bat. You should have nothing to worry about since the machine is not going to be on the internet. No Need to install updates other than service pack one...

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

OldPhil, are you talking about a folder called GWX or the GWX control panel utility to keep Windows 10 from installing?

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

I believe there is a misunderstanding between both of you.  When OldPhil says "GWX", he is referring to GWX Control Panel.  On the other hand, InadequateInfirmity is assuming OldPhil means Microsoft's Get Windows 10 app.  Loll. :hysterical:

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

@Agouti I tested the GWX Control Panel, and it leaves remnants of GWX behind... It may be able to stop and hide the update, but it certainly lacks.

Edit: Also, the method I suggest leaves no extra program running on your machine.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 19 March 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

That was an Ooops on ,y part, I have been running the panel on all my stuff.  Was looking for suggestions as to anything I have missed setting up the GWX control panel.  Thanks guys I think I have it now!

Phil

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

@Agouti I tested the GWX Control Panel, and it leaves remnants of GWX behind... It may be able to stop and hide the update, but it certainly lacks.

Edit: Also, the method I suggest leaves no extra program running on your machine.

Well I've tried removing GWX.EXE along with hiding the hotfix that puts it on the computer in the first place.  The problem with that is that a few weeks later MS comes up with a new way to sneak it onto your computer.  GWX Control Panel may leave a few things on the computer, but it stops all the nags in their tracks.  I've put it on 30 computers, and haven't seen the first nag since.  All these PCs can spare a few MB with no trouble, but what they don't need is the nags.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users