Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing optical drives (DVDs) in certain parts of Win 7

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

Hi all,

I have this weird Win problem with my optical drives.  Both are DVD drives (plextor DVD writer & Asus DVD Blue Ray writer).

When I'm in Win Explorer both drives are non-existant (they disappear).  When I'm in My Computer, however, both drives are present....

Attached are the screen caps that show this.

This all started after installing a new CPU cooler last week. Before that I had no problems whatsoever with either drive.  This system's been running about two & a half years now.

My System:
Win 7 Pro (64)
Asus MoBo M5A99x w/ AMD 4170 CPU
8 gb DDR3 RAM
1 gb Nvidia GE Force 550 ti by Asus in a PCIe x16 slot
2 Western Digital 1 tb drives (black) (SATA III) {both single partitioned}
1 120 gb SSD (SATA III) {originally, single partitioned, W mysteriously added a 2nd partition on a re-install? [drive E:])}
1 Plextor DVD drive (SATA III)
1 Asus blue ray DVD drive (SATA III)

When I ran WinRepair (Tweaking.com) Wednesday, I seen that it detected both optical drives as hidden, so I made sure the boxes to unhide them were checked.  I was pleased, I thought WR was going to fix my hidden drives problem.  Sadly though, both drives were still hidden after rebooting.   :(

Sadly I had to restore the registry Thursday due to a lag issue with my sound (built-in on MoBo) that appeared after running WR yesterday. The sound lag disappeared after restoring the registry

I ran WR with ALL recommendations (which includes running it in safe mode).  I even had to learn how to go into Safe Mode on my system for the first time.

This should be a simple fix, but I can't fix it.  Please help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:28 AM

By default Windows 7 hides a empty optical drive.  You can confirm if this is the case by inserting a disc in both drive, if this is the case both drives should now be visible.

You can change this to that the drive will always be visible by using the directions below.

1.  Click Start, Control Panel and then Tools.

2.  Click Folder options, and then select the View tab.

3.  Clear the Hide empty drives in the Computer folder check box and click OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

Thanx for the reply DC3!

As you can see by the attached pic, this is how I have the folder options set.  I always set the folder options this way whenever I set-up a new Win installation.  (I despise hidden stuff)  But my optical drives are still not in the Win Explorer view, unless a disk is in the drive...

It is as you said, when a disk is loaded in either drive, then yes, then the drive(s) will be in the folder view.  (I verified this yesterday & just now)

Until I installed the new CPU water cooler, my optical drives were always in the folder view whether empty or loaded.

BTW, no changes were made after this cooler install.  Very puzling to me!

Attached Files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Not knowing which cooler system you installed I have no idea if there was any monitoring software associated with it.  But my first thought is that what occurred was coincidental.

You could try a System Restore to see if this has any effect of this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

dc3, on 20 Mar 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

Not knowing which cooler system you installed I have no idea if there was any monitoring software associated with it.  But my first thought is that what occurred was coincidental.

You're probabably right.  But I didn't install the cooler's Link SW till 2 days later & I didn't notice exactly when the optical drives disappeared.  It could've happened right away, but then again... ???  Who knows for sure?

My cooler is a Corsair GTX 100 240 mm liquid cooler...  My CPU is running much cooler than with my previous air CPU cooler.
(I thought paying $50 for an air CPU cooler was overkill) 

Laughingly, I remember when CPUs didn't have any coolers at alll!  (Oh well)

I've been resisting swithching to liquid CPU coolers for quite some time (I'd say close to a year or more).  I don't know why I resisted so long.  I'd guess because I wasn't very convinced about how good the liquid cooling technology was?  I'm convinced now though.

You may already know that my new cooler has a USB link so that it can commucate.  It's very possible that the Corsair SW is the culprit of all this.  I'm not real confident with Corsair's SW.  (I set it to report temps in farenheit, but they remain in Celsius)

You could try a System Restore to see if this has any effect of this.

Yes, I know, and I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm wanting to know the cause of this isssue, not to just hide it.

PS.
I apologize for the reply delay.... I have another "big project" going on... :)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:31 AM

Doing a system restore isn't going to "hide" the problem, if it works it will revert the operating system to the condition it was in at the date of the restore point.

This could also be caused by a corrupt file or files.  

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found, please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off. 

#7 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

dc3, on 26 Mar 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

Doing a system restore isn't going to "hide" the problem, if it works it will revert the operating system to the condition it was in at the date of the restore point.

I'm truly sorry.  That was a very poor choice of words... I only meant that I wanted to fix this in case something like this happens again...  I obviously didn't look at a system restore as being what it is as you said.

Please run System File Checker

I ran the SFC /SCANNOW, but I don't think it completed 100% succesfully.  Although it looked as if it did, initially.  When the scan began, it showed a progress indicator starting at 1 & finishing at 100.  Then, after reaching 100,  it just sat there seemingly locked-up. I tried typing the following with no success: exit, x, q, esc, PrntScrn.  The only thing that worked was invoking the Task Manager. When it came up, it showed the Administrator Cmd task as running, along with my browser, I didn't end the task, even though I was tempted to.  Since all indications were that it wasn't locked-up,even though it appeared so, I again tried typing the same sequence as above, still no success.  So, I then simply closed the CMD window (via [X].)

Even though my PrntScrn program would't start, I was able to paste a screen cap in Paint...  Attached are the results...  :)

This is how it finished.  This img remained this way until I closed the window.

Attached Files

Edited by PieLam, 29 March 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

If the scan had completed it would have either stated "Windows found no integrity issues", or " Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was" unable to fix some of them.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

#9 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

dc3, on 29 Mar 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails. 

As you can see by the attached pic, nothing happened except for a clickable link that was a duplicate of the pasted text that you graciously provided.

I clicked on it out of curiosity, but nothing happened.

Attached Files

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Right click on the findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" when it appears above the search box.

Select Run as administrator.

Did you do this?

Edited by dc3, 04 April 2016 - 02:16 PM.

#11 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

dc3, on 04 Apr 2016 - 2:15 PM, said:

Did you do this?

Yes, I did.  Still, nothing new on my desktop.   :(

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

Right click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then select Windows Explorer.

Click on the C: drive, then click on Windows, then Logs, then CBS. 

These logs are date and time stamped, so choose the one with the date which you ran the sfc /scannow.

Post the log in your topic.

#13 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

dc3, on 05 Apr 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

Click on the C: drive, then click on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.

OK, I did that, but ran across some kind of file security issue.  So, I then went to the file's Properties>Security Tab where I changed the permissions for administrators to "full control".  Before I changed them, these permissions weren't on, I thought for sure changing them would allow me to read the file...  But, naturally, it didn't.. I would still get "access denied" when I tried to open the cbs.log file as indicated by the attached screen cap.

BTW, I have another oddity that I hope is related to this issue...  This last Sunday afternoon, while messing around with "EaseUS ToDo Back-Up", (I'd just bought it the week before & wanted to try it out) it showed my 3rd HDD that neither shows up in "My Computer" nor in "Win Explorer" ???  I was both glad & puzzled by all this.

Just to clarify: My PC case has a sort of a docking feature that allows you to plug-in any SATA HDD by sliding it into this feature's bay.  I've never seen this kind of feature before and I never even used it till about two weeks ago when I cloned the two HDDs in my PC.  This is how I acquired this 3rd HDD, (one of them that I cloned).  I need to access it to wipe it, but I'm not able to even see it.  EaseUS sees it though ???

I'm hoping when we get this DVD drive issue resolved, my docked drive will also appear...

Attached Files

Edited by PieLam, 06 April 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

Are you using an administrator account to do this?

#15 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:35 AM

Are you using an administrator account to do this?

Yes, of course.  At least I'm pretty sure that my account is an admin account.  Is there a way to be sure?

Edited by PieLam, 12 April 2016 - 07:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users