Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i run linux on amd

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 iontur

iontur

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:04 AM

i was told its hard to run linux on amd with the drivers and all etc is this true and is there anyway around it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

I have never heard of Linux having problems with AMD processors.  If you are unsure of whether your computer will run a particular Linux distro, you can create a live CD/DVD or USB and test it before installing.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

I am running Ubuntu on an old AMD Athlon XP and do not have any problems. The issue is the old CPUs may not be 64bit capable and therefore cannot run Chrome which ended support for 32bit on linux. Also if the CPU does not support sse2 you will not be able to run flash video. Other than those two issues Ubuntu runs pretty well on the my old AMD CPU. It's not a speed demon but I'll take it. 

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

i was told its hard to run linux on amd with the drivers and all etc is this true and is there anyway around it?

Sometimes with the AMD Graphics, if you are lucky you won't have this issue.  It is hard to tell though, because the LinuxLive Session might go well but the install won't, or, you can Install but will need to fix the Graphics stuff after.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=122257

Edited by pcpunk, 19 March 2016 - 09:01 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 iontur

iontur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

but i dont have a amd graphics card i have a nvida graphics card and my cpu is amd fx

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

but i dont have a amd graphics card i have a nvida graphics card and my cpu is amd fx

Then it shouldn't be an issue, although you might have to accept or install nvidia graphics drivers.

Just post up what Nvidia Card you have and someone will help.  

Sometimes the Distro will run fine, other times will have to use the "Driver Manager" in Mint or "Additional Drivers" in Ubuntu, after install to get the appropriate drivers.  Other times more work might need to be done to install drivers for Nvidia.

Just post up your Specs and well get you started.  You know...you can run linux live without installing, so we can get you going with that first to see what you like and how well it works.  You can do this with USB or DVD's just tell us what you want to use.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

Triple redundancy post. Linux has no problem with AMD hardware.

I have 6 desktop/server boxes and 5 run AMD CPU's and 1 out of that 5 has an Nvidia BFG 6200OC

Two of my 4 laptops run AMD hardware.

As others already replied you should not have any problems.  :thumbup2:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:15 PM

No AMD GPU's actually have a good success rate on linux but mainly with the open source drivers.

Nonfree drivers will cause issues though, check your model and its linux compliance.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 iontur

iontur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:15 PM

sorry for the late reply i have a gtx 750 ti

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

That card has its issues, hopefully they wont effect you.

I would wait for Ubuntu 16.04 before tying it out though, I say ubuntu as it has a relatively good rate of success on GPU's

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 April 2016 - 11:20 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:53 AM

Like MadmanRB, stated, it's best to wait for ubuntu 16.04 to see if native nVidia GTX series drivers are offered. When I clean install Linux MInt 17.3, there's no native support for the card, one has to add a PPA to get the latest 'official' nVidia drivers, though in the Driver Manager, these shows as open source & not proprietary drivers. 

The only Ubuntu/Linux Mint installs that natively works on nVidia cards are the older ones & aren't open source. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:20 AM

thogh Nvidia isnt too shabby at open source drivers, though AMD is better at open drivers

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

I too have a 750ti. Open additional drivers, check the box that says enable proprietary drivers and select one of the nvidia ones. After the changes save reboot.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,421 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

Like MadmanRB, stated, it's best to wait for ubuntu 16.04 to see if native nVidia GTX series drivers are offered. When I clean install Linux MInt 17.3, there's no native support for the card, one has to add a PPA to get the latest 'official' nVidia drivers, though in the Driver Manager, these shows as open source & not proprietary drivers. 

The only Ubuntu/Linux Mint installs that natively works on nVidia cards are the older ones & aren't open source. 

Cat

Not true. I have both a GTX 980 in my desktop, and the GTX 970M in my laptop. Both work great under Ubuntu 14.04, and Ubuntu 15.10.

Not to mention you could download and install the proprietary drivers from Nvidia if you wanted. But the drivers in the "additional driver" section (the one that Captain_chicken stated) will work just fine for GTX cards.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 05 April 2016 - 10:20 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:39 AM

Then things has indeed changed for the better, as opposed to last year when I got my GTX 960, had to create a Topic that extended into 4 pages to get the card installed, as far as drivers & resolution changes goes. 

That's good, and about time, as the GTX series of cards has been with us for some time. There should had been native support when I purchased mine, it was like three months after the card's release when I purchased, that's ample time to get their act in order. In my case, clicking onto the Additional Drivers tab offered nothing (not even the Nouveau drivers), and here I was staring at an XXL screen, and even after that was fixed, the same with the Grub screen, and 6-7 months later, found out how to finally see the LM logo again. 

Hopefully when the next major series is launched (the GTX successor), Linux distros can hustle to the ball faster. Really, does it have to take well over a year, closer to two, for Linux engineers to extract the driver from the bundle & implement it in the ISO, or even updates? I bet that the engineers didn't wait that long to implement these for their personal use. 

Prior to that, I had an MSI branded AMD Radeon 7770 OC edition, and it was plug-n-play. Screen looked so good that I didn't touch the Driver Manager tab, there was no need to. Next time I purchase a GPU, and it'll be a really good one, something equivalent to the current 970 or better, will check for Linux compatibility before purchase. While I prefer nVidia over AMD, don't care for another 7 month wait to have full function & am loyal to what works out of the box over much research & having to create a Topic for solutions. 

Hopefully this means I can install Mint 18 trouble free with my current GTX 960, which will have to hold me over until I perform a custom build. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 06 April 2016 - 05:41 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users