Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows.old folder makes no sense

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:09 AM

New computer purchased here a month ago with Windows 10 already installed.  About a week ago, a folder was formed, "Windows.old", found in the system32 folder.  This makes no sense, if the meaning for windows.old is that an upgrade was done.  NO upgrade of Windows was done.  The new computer came with Windows 10 already.   WHAT does this folder then mean?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

Open the "Windows Old" and have a look at the files within , they may give some info.

But sounds like maybe an Upgrade was done.

More info here if you wish to Delete it.    http://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

#3 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hi, cafejose,

of course you can clean your system with the usual cleanup tools under "Start - Windows Maintenance - Drive-Cleanup" (sorry for the poor translation from my german system, but I guess you get what I mean).

The better way is to use "run" (or WIN+R) as an admin, and use Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

This way you have more options of what you want to throw out as if you use the "normal" way of cleaning up. Just watch out for a minimized icon on the taskbar possibly waiting to be activated to enter your preferences.

Just try it, won't hurt!

Greetings from Germany,

Curly

P.S.: Win10 is instead of the normal updating as we know from previous versions always "upgrading" to a "newer version" with every update - so that could be a reason that another win.old shows up somewhere ...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

You get a Windows.old folder if the system is updated from W10 - build 10240 to W10 - build 10586 (this is the Fall Update/Threshold 2/TH2/1511 update)

At work, if you have us set your computer up, one of the things that we do is to automatically update the system - which includes the 1511 update.

Or, it may be that you accepted the 1511 update when running Windows Updates - and it installed and created the Windows.old directory then.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:41 PM

usasma,

What you say is confusing, but maybe what has happened.   A few days ago, Windows Update was started - forgot how - but the update process was VERY LONG, about 90 minutes.  The screen was occupied with a circle with a percentage reading and three labels of activity on the bottom as part of the progress.  This must mean that an old version of WINDOWS 10 was upgraded (?) to a newer version of WINDOWS 10..... (?)

The computer was bought NEW, Windows 10 already installed, from a big-name consumer electronics retail store.  LAST MONTH.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

The screen was occupied with a circle with a percentage reading and three labels of activity on the bottom as part of the progress.

usasma is right.  That's is exactly what happens when build 10586 is installed.  That is why you have a Windows.old folder.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

Please see the private message that I sent you.

Today at work I opened up a box with a brand spanking new W10 computer in it.

My first check is to run "winver" from the run dialog and see what version of W10 is installed.

And, guess what?  Yep, W10 build 10240 (the older one) was the version on the new system.

So I updated the UEFI, and then installed the 1511 update (which is the build 10585 version) before doing anything else.

It's not uncommon for systems to sit on the shelf for a while before they're sold.

For example, the OEM has to manufacture it and ship it to this country (if it's manufacturered elsewhere).  They'll wait until they have enough to make the shipment economically feasible before actually shipping.

Then they send it out to their distribution centers, and they may in turn send them to smaller distribution centers of theirs.

Those distribution centers have to then send it to the stores that purchase it.

Again, these stores often have distribution centers, and may even have more levels of distribution than the OEM does.

As Windows Updates are becoming more and more "forced", this works well for the OEM's

They don't have to worry about updating the build 10240 systems - as Windows Update will take care of it for them.

We push it at work so that you're not bothered with it at home (and don't have the expense/time of the huge download to contend with).

Edited by usasma, 19 March 2016 - 07:11 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users