Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading motherboard from amd to intel

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 betaturon

betaturon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

so im looking for a cheap intel motherboard my budget is 200 next month though my budget will be 330 and im hoping to eventually buy the intel i7 cpu and what socket is recommended?

my current specs are

amd fx 6300

asus m5a99fx pro 2.0

corsair cx500m

corsair carbide 200r

Edited by betaturon, 19 March 2016 - 04:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

The motherboard socket required is determined entirely by the processor you want to use. There are many versions of i7 processor & you need to decide which one you want.

If your budget of "200" is US dollars then you are not looking for a particularly cheap motherboard, but no one can suggest motherboards unless they know what CPU socket you require, what currency you are using, what country you are purchasing in & any other requirements you have.

I would suggest that there is not much point in buying a motherboard until you can afford a processor & new RAM (that will probably also be required) to go with it.

#3 betaturon

betaturon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

im looking for the 1151 lga socket and a i7 processor with overclocking ability

Edited by betaturon, 19 March 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

Then you probably want a Z170 chipset board, your case will take ATX or micro ATX boards. This is the one I bought for myself  

recently:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128840

although there are many alternatives.

You would need some DDR4 RAM for this board.

Edited by rqt, 19 March 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

i7 6700K costs abourt 360 dollars.

z170 board with good overclocking capabilities cost about 150 dollars

DDR4 memory cost about 40 dollars

So better to have at least 550 dollars for that upgrade. Also going from hexa core to quad core does not sound wise to me, better to take at least i7-5820K.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

So better to have at least 550 dollars for that upgrade. Also going from hexa core to quad core does not sound wise to me, better to take at least i7-5820K.

The hexa core is amd's less efficient fx series chips. The extra cores on the 5820k would likely not be used.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,891 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

Eh you may be barking up the wrong tree.

For overclocking and a i7 build $200 wont even buy you a CPU especially a i7.

Even overclocking i5's are pricey.

Got more like a $500 budget will do but not $200.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:49 PM

The hexa core is amd's less efficient fx series chips. The extra cores on the 5820k would likely not be used.

depends on what your using it for, but from what ive seen today, theres really not that many programs that actually make use of more then 4 cores, some games. I put a 8 core AMD chip in my dads latest build, and it works marvelously.

With AMD or intel a lot really is depending on personal choices. Im an AMD guy, I only have one computer in my house right now running intel, and its my wifes that I never use lol. But, intel does make solid CPUs, though theyre more expensive. For a good overclocking intel system, your going to need a good deal more then $330. the 6700 by itself (which I agree with drilling machine, dont do it, at best, it would match your current CPUs performance, if not be a slight downgrade) but the 6700 is $375 new. Thats before motherboard, and before aftermarket cooling which you will absolutly HAVE to have if you plan on doing any serious overclocking. The 5820K, which would give you an advantage, at least in some areas, is still $350 by itself. And for intel motherboards, your bottom end ones start at 85, but you dont want to overclock with that-if you want a system that will overclock well and last awhile your going to want high-midrange to high end motherboards which go from about 200 on up 600 dollars.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,891 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

Well right now Amd seems to be a sinking ship CPU wise, might be better to go intel

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Well right now Amd seems to be a sinking ship CPU wise, might be better to go intel

AMD's new Zen is around corner. And it's probably faster than any Intel. So far Jim Keller has never failed.

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

AMD's new Zen is around corner. And it's probably faster than any Intel. So far Jim Keller has never failed.
Don't get your hopes too high. I am a big fan of AMD but I will be happy if their Zen has Ivy level performance. Anything further than that is a pipe dream for AMD. That being said, there was no ivy with 12 or 16 physical cores...
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#12 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

It seems to me that one little thing has left behind somewhere - namely, you will likely lose Windows activation.

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Don't get your hopes too high. I am a big fan of AMD but I will be happy if their Zen has Ivy level performance. Anything further than that is a pipe dream for AMD. That being said, there was no ivy with 12 or 16 physical cores...

For Ivy level performance, even Excavator (not talking about Piledriver here) with good 14nm process would be enough. Also Intel's development on desktop CPU's has been very slow in recent years, Skylake is only about 5-15% faster than Ivy while AMD made over double improvement at same time (Bulldozer to Excavator). Considering that, there is nothing miraclous with Skylake's performance. So if Zen is at least on par with Excavator architechture and GF/Samsung 14nm manufacturing process is at least fairly close to Intel's 14nm process, Ivy level performance is easilly surpassed.

That manufacturing process is big question mark though. Very big.

It seems to me that one little thing has left behind somewhere - namely, you will likely lose Windows activation.

Good point, unless topic starter has Windows retail version of course.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 21 March 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

I don't want to start an Intel vs. AMD war, but Intel's current chips are more powerful and efficient than AMD's lineup. I am going to say that intel has better overall performance, but AMD has better performance per dollar on the long side of things.

For Zen, all this is still speculation. We are yet to see any performance data. Manufacturing process is not important.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

IMO...it's not a matter of "AMD vs Intel" at all.

Intel has always had chips that were, according to spec, superior to AMD chips.  That does not mean that AMD chips are crap, it just means that...since there are only 2 CPU manufacturers these days...you only have two options when selecting a CPU.

Intel processors also have always cost considerably more than comparable AMD CPUs. For those who want to pay for processing "power/speed" that is not really important in how they use their systems (like me), a CPU should be chosen based on what you are willing to spend.  The overhyped "advantages" of one chip versus another...may actually exist...but for the average computer user, it's of no consequence in routine computer use.

If you game, consider yourself an "enthusiast", or otherwise want to preen yourself and bore others with how fast your processor is and how much you paid for it...by all means, just roll out the bucks and buy an Intel chip that really won't make any of your day-to-day activities on a system...improved substantially.  If you want to feel that your purchase was a good value...buy an AMD chip.

Our computers...are toys for adults and some children.  They are useful and provide a great deal (IMO) of enjoyment.  With any toy that one purchases, there is little point or need to justify the purchase...other than the usual "I want that."

Since your title concerns motherboard, not CPU, you should pick a board which provides the capabilities or frills that you desire...then see what CPUs accommodate that board.  If you don't game...there is little point in paying for a board which provides crossfire and other features that make gamers and some "enthusiasts" gush with joy...those boards will be more expensive than a simpler board which meets your needs and costs less.

My two cents...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2016 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users