Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do with ISO now

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:01 AM

I have carried out a clean reinstall using an ISO MCT that was downloaded to my D drive (SD Memory Card). Can I now transfer this ISO to a USB Flash Drive, eg by using Send To, and can this ISO be regarded as a backuup to restore my system if required?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

I don't understand what you mean by "...regarded as a backup to restore my system..."  However, you can use the ISO to reinstall Windows just as you did the clean reinstall.  The only difference is you won't have to use the MCT to download an ISO again because you already have one.  And yes, you can use "Send to" to move the ISO to your flash drive.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

Tanks. That is just  what I wanted to know. I have felt guilty about not making a proper backup yet --- I wont go into why I have put it off but it is partly because I did not want to make a backup of a significantly faulty OS. Now although I have got rid of the awful November update bug by reinstalling, I have lost every part of the sound system and dont feel like backing up till I have cured that. But from what you say the IOS Iwill act as at least a temporary backup for my OS. All my programs and files are now on removable media, not on the C drive which is small, so I want to reserve it just for the OS and maybe a few system related things like the antivirus. I hope that makes sense!

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

I have felt guilty about not making a proper backup yet ---

I don't understand what you mean by "...a proper backup...".  A proper backup in my books is making an image with either Windows built-in utility or a third party one like Macrium Reflect.  The ISO you have is not the same, it is a Windows installer.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

I don't understand what you mean by "...regarded as a backup to restore my system..."  However, you can use the ISO to reinstall Windows just as you did the clean reinstall.  The only difference is you won't have to use the MCT to download an ISO again because you already have one.  And yes, you can use "Send to" to move the ISO to your flash drive.

Sorry, but this whole post is bad advice. First of all, an ISO is not considered a good back up program. A system image, like you mention in your next post, is a much better back up plan. I also agree with your recommendation Macrium Reflect.

Second. Without using a third party ISO imager like Rufus, the ISO image on a USB stick will never boot, it would be useless.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

Second. Without using a third party ISO imager like Rufus, the ISO image on a USB stick will never boot, it would be useless.

You can mount the ISO and install Windows by running the setup file.  See http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-from-iso-file-without-usbdvd/

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

Cool. Good information.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

This is lnterestinng and somewhat important for me to get straight. The setup file was listed in the ISO's contents and only had to be clicked for the 

lnstallation to begin------I can see lt would  be no good  as a backup lf the computer was not booting ----except I have a bootable USB created with AOEMI BACKUPPPER for this purpose and used successfully. After booting wiith that I could then use the ISO, yes ?

By a 'proper backup' I mean a copy of the OS, programs/apps, folders and files  ---- created by AOEMI, MACRIUM or similar. AOEMI  now has a fatal issue for me [and others]  --- for some unknown reason neither BACKUPPER nor PARTITIION MANAGER can recognise my C drive, so l had MACRIUM on my machine, but removed it and much else to make room for thr re-install. There is a new version just released anyway.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

No.  If your system becomes unbootable you cannot boot into AOMEI Backupper and run setup.exe on the ISO.  That's not what AOMEI Backupper is used for.  If you intend to keep the ISO for the purpose of reinstalling Windows at any time, it's best make a bootable USB installer with it.  Follow this tutorial for using Rufus to make the USB.

And yes, a proper backup is using a program like Macrium Reflect to create an image.  It is recommended that you make backups regularly.

#10 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

I am  wonderng if there is a misunderstanding here?  The AOMEI BACKUPPER program lncludes some other utilities including 

PXE boot tool. I have used it twice to get my PC started when it would not boot.

I have just downloaded it to  see if it rcognises my C drive after the reinstall. I doesnt, which is a pity.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

Sorry, I don't have any experience with AOMEI's PXE Boot tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users