Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Isn't Malwarebytes Giving an Option to Remove Infected Files?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GWBlack

GWBlack

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hello, I am pretty new here, and so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

For some reason, after Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes a scan and finds some infected files, it only presents me with a screen with a "Finish" button instead of a screen with a "Remove" button (as it did in the past).  Then after pressing "Finish", it takes me right back to the "Scan Now" page to offer to perform another scan all over again.

Has anybody seen this before, and how can I get to the screen where I can remove the infected files?  In most cases, they are just PUP files.

Thank you!

Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

What types of threats is it finding?

In addition to malicious software detection and removal, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware also detects and deals with two classes of non-malware...these are Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and Potentially Unwanted Modifcations (PUM)s. The default setting for detected PUPs is to "Warn user about detections". Malwarebytes will not automatically remove these detections unless you reconfigure (change) the default Non-Malware Protection settings to "Treat detections as malware".

Read the Malwarebytes User Guide: Non-Malware Protection for information and applicable settings found under the Detection and Protection section.

Detection.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 GWBlack

GWBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:13 PM

Thank you.  Yes, the PUP and PUM options are set to "Treat detections as malware."  It's strange because it used to give me a window with a "Remove All" option after it found some "infections".  But recently, it just takes me to the screen with the "Finish" button and never gives me the option to delete them.  Then, as I mentioned, once I click on "Finish", it takes me right back to the "Scan Now" page to prompt for another scan to begin.

Maybe I should just delete & reinstall MalwareBytes. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

When you're having issues with Malwarebytes, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall as follows:-- If using the Premium version, you will need to reactivate Malwarebytes' using the license ID and key you were sent by email. Make sure you save that information so it is readily available when reinstalling.
-- Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab and check for updates if not done during installation.
-- Restart the computer again and verify that Malwarebytes is showing in the task tray if using the Premium version. Then setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users