Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Kodak printer problems wiyh Mint 17.3 and windows 10

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

As some of you may know I have recently installed mint 17.3 Rosa with cinnamon on a Hp 15-f009wm notebook, not much of a PC really.  Only just meet the min. requirements to run win 10 at all.

Mainly the cpu is the problem 1 Ghz just is not enough.  Even the printer seems to want a min 1.2 Ghz. Celeron or equal.

Now I have never been able to get this printer to work consistantly even on w 10. It has had maybe 10 software/driver/firmware updates since I have owned it.  Useing its AIO management software you can update each one seperatlely.  Linux you can not seem to be able to do that.

Cat has been doing an excellent job trying to help sort this out. In all fairness to him I have went back and reread all of his replys to me as well as his own posts and responses on his printer problem. Trying all of the suggestions over and over looking for some differences.

I just am not getting the same results as he and others are reporting.  Not only in this forum but several others.

This model printer does not seem to play well with the more modern Windows systems or Linux either.

I need to take a break for awhile.  Sorry my health issues are getting worse by the day. lol

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

Can you specify what problems you're having with the printer?

Windows drivers and Linux drivers are completely different, even though they're for the same printer.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

My main problem is getting it to print from within mink.  I was able to install the printer ok and the drivers but when trying to print a test page it gets hung for up to 1 hour just trying to load the test page. I can click on properties and then choose to view the print que and I can see it loading the job and even stop the job[cancel]

but no option to delete the jobs in que. No clear cache.  The buttons are greyed out and do not respond.

A weird thing happened just now while compileing this post. A small window opened up across the bottom of the screen and some kind of degugger or something was running. It only stayed up for 3 seconds or so and was gone.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Try rebooting your computer.  Maybe reboot the printer too.  It won't hurt to try this.  Not long ago, I had a similar after installing a CUPS printer.  The issue mysteriously went away after a reboot.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

This for clarification.

The OP's initial Topic can be found here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607652/migrateing-to-linux-doing-a-lot-of-reading-here

The printer at issue is a Kodak 3250 usb all-in-one, and cat1092 has the same printer.

dannyboy950 is also considering buying a Canon Pixma MG2520 from Wal Mart, but not before (was it) next Wednesday's payday. I have information on Linux solutions for drivers for that printer on hand should he take that course (ie decides that the Kodak might be better as a toaster or sandwich maker), but there is no point in getting ahead of his decision.

@dannyboy950:

Can I just double-check on something I asked at the other Topic?

There, I provided a screenshot, as follows, showing the Kodak driver installed on my 17.3 Cinnamon -

qpYKkBN.png

Can I check with you -

1. That the check box left of the driver package is filled green, not empty?
  2. That the entry under Installed Version has the same as Latest Version?
  3. That, in the bottom status bar, it says "0(zero) broken"?

Also, as referenced by friend mremski, here, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607652/migrateing-to-linux-doing-a-lot-of-reading-here/?p=3959596

... there is the CUPS route. SourceForge have here -

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/   ... provision to download a tar c2esp-27.tar.gz.

I am unaware of the contents of that package, but downloading it and taking a look with an Archive Manager could be revealing. If it includes a .ppd that could be pertinent.

My experience with CUPS (to date) is next to nothing, only used it once. So another may be in a better position than I to assist there.

In any event, I am on standby if needed, with tips for the Canon, dannyboy950, and whatever course you choose to pursue - we've got your back, lol.

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

Thank you wizardfromoz.

Yes that is what I see. I had no real problem installing the driver package.

Cat had mentioned a couple of things. Try to print something else other than the test page. The other was to try running the printer from the options on the printer itself. If nothing else it would help verify if the printer itself could work at all.

I created a document and tried to print the document. This almost worked, it drew in a sheet of paper and tried to print but the page was blank. First time the printer actually did something.

Since I had not printed anything in a while I tried to clean the print head. maybe nozzles were dried up. No joy Next I tried to align the print head. This worked one time. Actually printed something but now nothing again.  Checking in properties the printer is no longer listed as default and again will do nothing from either within Mint or from the printer console.  Now what the heck. Buy the way I can no longer find the printer and devices page/option whatever it was called.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:20 PM

Do you remember at the other Topic where I said

I have some ideas to assist you to assist us to assist you (lol), both in this Topic and throughout this Section, but I will insert them where appropriate and on-topic, in a way not to confuse you.

Here's another one - posting screenshots. I know you have an extensive history at BC, but the Windows Section's facility for attaching files is not shared (yet) with Linux and Unix Section.

Here, we have to take a screenshot, then (join and) upload to an image hosting site, and then download to here and embed in the Post (see in your Posting toolbar, second line 11th from left, the icon looks like a picture, mouse tip "Image".

Here is a template I use for those new to Linux:

Newbies on screenshots -

If you need to know how to post a screenshot in the Linux Section, you can read, at Linux How-To and Tutorial Section, NickAu's Topic “How to post a screenshot Linux style”. Or click

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

or for more choices in Image Hosting sites, see Moderator Stolen's Post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?hl=%2Btinypic+%2Bimgur+%2Bphotobucket#entry3386653

… #2 refers.

More recently, in helping another Member, they used http://postimage.org (formerly postimg.org), I joined it, and they are also BC friendly

The screenshots capturing program for Mint is Gnome Screenshot. Go to Menu, start to type "screen" in the search bar and you'll find it. Before you open it, right-click and choose Add to Panel (the taskbar) or Add to Favourites, you will use it often. When you use it, choose (usually) to Grab the Current Window, choose a delay of eg 10 seconds, check to capture the pointer and the border.

There is also Shutter, which you can find and install from your Software manager or from Synaptic Package Manager. Or type in a Terminal

sudo apt-get install shutter

Take your time getting the hang of this, but once you have, it will help a lot to retrace some of your steps and post pix.

:wizardball: Wizard

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:23 PM

Someone using Mint please post how to read log files for OP to post here. (the GUI way ,not 'cat /var/log/messages' or syslog) or what ever you kids call it now. :hysterical:

Perhaps if we see the actual error we can move forward to a solution.

I can testify that just because you have a driver does not mean the kernel still supports that driver.

And from the Kodak site it says the driver for the 3250 is not compatible with Win 10.

Forgot... do you have jbig library installed?

Edited by raw, 18 March 2016 - 10:37 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:47 PM

He WILL have, I am on Rosa Cinnamon now

BBie1uo.png

:wizardball: Wiz

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

And from the Kodak site it says the driver for the 3250 is not compatible with Win 10.

That's why I never bother with believing that crap (was initially the same with 8 & 8.1) until I try it myself. Successfully installed on 10 Pro. :)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/O45qaEC41zTX3jz70cyzsri

Didn't even have to use Compatibility Mode. :P

Now as to the OP's issue, I provided step by step instructions on how to install that Kodak in another Topic, and went though the trouble of installing it on my Linux Mint 17 install (wired, not networked), of which it had never been on until then to verify what I posted was correct. 

One thing that I believe is messing up the OP, there is no 'AIO' software on Linux installs, that's Windows (& maybe Mac) software only. The only thing that's 'AIO' about the printer is that one doesn't need the PC on to perform certain functions, such as printing from an SD card, or making copies of existing documents. There is no Kodak AIO Home Center for LInux Mint, nor other Linux based OS's. 

My suggestion is to ensure the printer still works on a Windows computer, and go back and follow the steps in that other Topic, I believe in Post #52. It's important (in the Package Manager) to right click onto the installed items as advised & see/install the other packages recommended/suggested. 

If the printer driver (printer-driver-c2esp) shows, but not installed (if installed, there will be a green folder icon to the left), right click & choose 'Mark for Installation', then Apply. Now right click on the folder again & go down to 'Mark Recommend for Installation' & choose the package(s) shown, same with 'Mark Suggested for Installation', click what's shown on both & then Apply. Mine shows it's installed, but since I've not used the printer on this install, don't know if it works or not, yet that's a starting point. Once installed, or verified that it is, close the Package Manager, turn on your printer & then go to Administration > Printers. If not shown, click the Add tab & see what happens. 

That's exactly what I did & here was the result, all done within the typing of that post. 

I've just went through a moderate amount of work to see if it prints (including that of above), disconnecting from router's shareport & plugging into my this PC, it works!  :)

Now, I'm not a Linux 'guru', so don't know how to produce the system logs (in any way), just have been running the OS for nearly 7 years fairly much trouble free, yes there's a couple of things that doesn't work yet (notably, network printing), yet that doesn't stop me from using it. Should I need to print while on Linux Mint, will simply disconnect the printer cord from the router's USB shareport & attach to my PC & print away, thanks to the OP. Had this issue not been brought forward, could never had penned the 2nd quote in this post. 

I guess it's safe to say that I'm not concerned about system logs because I have few issues, and when so, will figure it out. Have done a lot on my own, by reading the materials in the Topics, and articles on the Internet, should I rarely get stuck, will ask for assistance. A lot of the learning about using Linux is having the will to get things done, though much is simple, including installing this printer. It was published that the Kodak printer wouldn't work on Windows 10, I defied the odds (even the SD/MMC port shows), that's all a conspiracy between Microsoft & all of the various OEM's to compel consumers to waste money by not even trying the printer(s)/other accessories owned & taking their word as gold. It's also said to be not so Linux friendly, again beat the odds. No, it doesn't do all of the things that some of the approved HP models does, yet for my needs, is plenty enough.

Consumers needs to wake up & stop believing everything that Microsoft says (or arm twists corporations into saying, to keep their 'partner' OEM status) & think for themselves. I had another printer (Dell 720 Photo Printer) that ran on all OS's from Windows 2000 Pro through 8.1. The only reason why I got rid of it was ink pricing & quality thereof. It likely would had ran on 10 also, using the Vista drivers that was used on that OS through 8.1. It also ran on 32 bit Linux Mint, though nowhere as good as the Kodak. 

It's time to get this printer rolling, there were 3-4 pages devoted to it in the other Topic, we don't want this one to extend that far, unless it's productive. Really, this is a 15 minute job tops, even for a newbie. I done it in less than 10, including finishing that post. :thumbup2:

dannyboy950, please again take the time to read the 2nd quote above & revisit Post #52 in your other Topic & repeat all steps listed, It's exactly how I installed mine to the letter. You must make sure your printer is on when these things are being done, and under Administration > Printers, if you don't see yours, click 'Add' or 'Add Printer', that may help it show to print a test page. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Cat I have gone back several times and reread everything you have posted includeing your own printer thread.  Looking for something I missed or implemented wrong.  So far I have found no differences except the actual computer.  I appreciate all the extra effort you have put into this. Getting your wifes computer and your printer set up to work with it. The only real difference I see is she has a little better processor by the system specs. {may or may not be relevant.]

Gotta go for a bit.

Just for background one of the last things I did before uninstalling windows was update all softwares for the HP and to uninstall and reinstall the Kodak printer and it's aio software.  After installing mint I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the linux mint printer packag several times. Verifying that it was the correct package c2esp each time.

I have tried to run it from the linux interface and the printer console itself with minimal success.  I really think I will have to go with the Canon.

Edited by dannyboy950, 21 March 2016 - 11:24 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

Verifying that it was the correct package c2esp each time.

And you did right click on each to check for the recommended & suggested options also? 

What computer did this printer successfully run on & when was it ran last? 

I really think I will have to go with the Canon.

If you do, then you should also check out the minimum resources needed before purchase. Plus inks will be more costly, as it'll take 2-3 years at a minimum for generics to become available on reliable sites such as InkSell.com. 

There's a reason why the minimum specs are needed, and it's best to have more, for starters, you're likely going to have a Web page open while printing, this requires resources. I'm going on a limb to say that with a 1GHz CPU, you're going to run into troubles, no matter which you choose. The printer may or may not work w/out adequate system resources. Which may be what you're running into now. Kodak recommends (minimum) a Celeron 1.2GHz CPU, while I've never had trouble printing with it, the lowest CPU spec I can recall running with it is a single core Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz.

That's one of the pitfalls of newer computers with low end CPU's, the OEM's are sacrificing CPU power for battery life. When there are other options for extended battery life, such as having an OEM provided DC adapter to work with a portable rechargeable battery packs that are more & more popular, or an option to install an extra battery in the optical drive bay (have seen this with the Dell Latitude D610). The OEM's have done a poor job of this, it was never needed to reduce CPU specs to save on battery life. 

Really, how much real work does these OEM's feel their customers can get done on 1.0-1.7Ghz CPU's & some includes i5 & i7 models running at less than 20W? Am glad that I have three notebooks that's more powerful & not in the market for one now. Even my now 13 year old IBM T42 with the single core 1.73Ghz CPU would be better than many of these, if it had a better standard of RAM than basic DDR, though the Kodak ran on it fine. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

Cat the last time that printer worked well with all functions was Vista when I first installed it on vista.  The last 2 years of use it [the printer] started acting up and I had to install newer versions of aio twice each year. As best I can remember.  That was all using windows vista home edition.

#14 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

Printers used to be simple devices that would do text.  Then you had more expensive PostScript based printers and HP LaserJets that did "HP-PCL" (HP Printer Control language);  this meant that printers actually had some smarts in them and the computer side simply translated to postscript or PCL.  The $50 HP DeskJet you get from WalMart doesn't have much smarts anymore (no not because it's sold at WalMart), all the major brains are in the drivers on the PC side.  SW is cheaper and quicker to update than hardware, but it does mean you need more horsepower in the PC to give adequate performance.

Text doesn't take much to print.  Colorized, "photo quality" takes a lot more.  Writing correct software for them requires knowledge from the printer manufacturer, lots of times it takes $$$ and a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) to get that information.

CUPS works out of the box for a lot of printers (the previously mentioned $50 DeskJet is a good example), the package mentioned above (c2esp) will likely have  PPD files in it.

I'm going to take a guess and say "It's quite likely that Linux Mint is actually using CUPS as the print spooler underneath the hood".  We can try and find out by doing the following:

Open a webbrowser (firefox, chrome,shouldn't matter)

Point it at this address (don't click on this, type it in.  I don't know how to make this a "code" block or just plain text):

http://localhost:631/

If that resolves, you should see a page that clearly indicates CUPS.  The center section "CUPS for Administrators" is what you want. Adding Printers and Classes is the place to start.

Edited by mremski, 22 March 2016 - 07:07 AM.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

@mremski

Apparent cups is enabled because the page resolved. After chooseing the option you specified I had it find the printer which it could not find. Moveing on to add the printer I did find my printer in the list and started filling out the other information. I get to a point where it wants the name of my computer and if to share it.

Since this is the only computer I never named it and I do not allow shareing leaveing it blank and continueing I get a drop down list of other kodak names and versions that I do not have.  Now what?  Where do I go from here?

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users