Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer not dnloading pictures from my camera.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 coaler

coaler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

I have 8.1...a HP Pavilion 20..desktop.

My camera is a Nikon PIX L 32

My problem? Tried to put pictures on my computer. Can't do it either by inserting the smart card from the camera or with a usb cord.

Is there a program that has to be on my computer to do this? The computer was in the shop a few times and am wondering if something was "lost".

Would appreciate someones input. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

When you insert the SD card, open Explorer and look for a folder named DCIM.  Your pictures should be in there.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

One picture being worth a thousand words !

Attached File  Canon camera folders.jpg   73.67KB   0 downloads

These images were taken with a Canon but the files and folders from my own Nikon show up exactly the same way.

Then just use 'drag and drop' to put them where you want them.

Chris Cosgrove

Correction -  To avoid any confusion the images that are actually on this memory card were taken with my Nikon, but the card is an old small one which I use for training purposes, and was last formatted in a Canon ! I just grabbed a handful of images to put on it.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 March 2016 - 06:36 PM.
Correction

#4 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

I know where my pictures are.

Its getting them from the camera sim card to the picture folder that won't work.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

I know where my pictures are.

How do you "know" the pictures are there?  Do you see the pictures like in Chris' screenshot?

Its getting them from the camera sim card to the picture folder that won't work.

Did you locate the pictures like in Chris' screenshot and drag them to the pictures folder?  BTW, it's an SD card, not a SIM card.  A SIM card is for phones.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

When you insert the card wait a second or two for Autorun to come up with the panel asking you what you want to do. You can either chose 'Open a folder to view' or close Autorun and open Windows Explorer directly. This latter is always my choice.

Then click on the camera icon in the left hand panel and expand the view until you can see the folder containing your images. Click on this and the list of images in the folder will appear in the right hand panel. Select one, some or all of these images, then move the cursor over any part of the blue highlighted images, hold down the left hand mouse button and drag the cursor to the folder where you want the images to go. Do NOT let go of the left button until you get to the correct folder or the images will drop into whichever folder the cursor happens to be over at the time !

This process - drag and drop - works for any number of images from one to the folder limit of 1000.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

Thanks all. I finally got it. I had to download Nikons view nx2 firstI inserted the card directly into my computer and wha la...up came the pictures that was in it. I selected the ones I wanted and they are safely in my family pictures file....Such a rum dum I am!!  Goes to show you, read the directions before you bother someone.  thanks.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

I had to download Nikons view nx2 first...

Glad you were able to get your pictures.  AFAIK, all camera manufacturers have their own utility which the user can use to transfer his pictures to his PC.  The utility is suppose to make it easy for the user to perform this task, however, it isn't absolutely necessary.  You can use Explorer to accomplish the same task just as easily.  This is the method that Chris and myself was trying to explain to you.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

I second what Agouti said - glad you have found a way of transferring your photos.

Having said that, my wife was the first of us to get a digital camera - a Canon SureShot - and about a year later my Minolta film camera was coming up on a second service and I decided it was time to go digital and bought a Nikon DSLR. As Agouti said, both came with their manufacturer's software which I tried and promptly binned. I found it much slower than using Windows Explorer and that both offered facilities I didn't want but made a simple copy to a hard drive more difficult than it needed to be.

All I want to be able to do at the end of a day's shooting is copy the images to hard drive, and an external as backup, and then clear the cards for the next day's work. But then again, as I have said elsewhere, my wife and I take a lot of photos !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users