Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Subwoofer.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KarstaHarri

KarstaHarri

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hi! I have an issue where I get sound from subwoofer only when testing it via windows "configure speakers". You cannot hear it no matter what application with any setting or how high quality file im playing. But again when I test it in configure speakers "BOOOOOM"... I have wrestled with this issue for a long time. I have set my options in configure speakers to 5.1 and again there all the speakers are working. I have also tested it with movies that should have 6 channel audio (with various players, with various settings).

My settings: Subwoofer is connected to the Onkyo TX-SR309 receiver subwoofer preout jack with a single RCA cable. Receiver is connected to the Ati Radeon HD6900 with HDMI cable. I have just installed windows 8.1 x64 and latest drivers. other spec:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550
Motherboard: P5Q Pro
Sound drivers: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Subwoofer: Jamo-210

Edited by KarstaHarri, 19 March 2016 - 07:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

This may be a naive question, but why are you connecting your sound out on your computer to an Onkyo preamp, then to speakers?? That may be your problem. However, I am not an audiophile and I may misunderstand. Also, this is an old and dated board and you may have the starting of failures on it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

Many audio/video receiver units have an option called ARC which stands for audio return channel.  This handled by the HDMI and usually only functions properly with same manufacturers equipment, like  BluRay players and HDTVs.  Too many times it also interferes with the audio and  results in no output.  Many system manufacturers of PCs with 5.1 audio also have a control panel for the on board audio.  Use strictly analog/composite outputs to my Yamaha AVR and notice no lip sync faults when streaming from the PC to the HDTV via HDMI, minus audio, it goes to the AVR, the line out and the surround channel, via the two channel mini jack cables.  Protocols between manufacturers has not reached the point of a standard yet so ARC is hit and miss.

#4 KarstaHarri

KarstaHarri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

This may be a naive question, but why are you connecting your sound out on your computer to an Onkyo preamp, then to speakers?? That may be your problem. However, I am not an audiophile and I may misunderstand. Also, this is an old and dated board and you may have the starting of failures on it.

My subwoofer is my only active speaker and I need to connect all my speakers through same device for them to work same time.

Many audio/video receiver units have an option called ARC which stands for audio return channel.  This handled by the HDMI and usually only functions properly with same manufacturers equipment, like  BluRay players and HDTVs.  Too many times it also interferes with the audio and  results in no output.  Many system manufacturers of PCs with 5.1 audio also have a control panel for the on board audio.  Use strictly analog/composite outputs to my Yamaha AVR and notice no lip sync faults when streaming from the PC to the HDTV via HDMI, minus audio, it goes to the AVR, the line out and the surround channel, via the two channel mini jack cables.  Protocols between manufacturers has not reached the point of a standard yet so ARC is hit and miss.

The ARC option has been set off so it doesnt interfere.

At this stage i need to point out that sthis setup have worked a few years ago, First I got this pc and bought Onkyo later. I cut off old speakers from old 5.1 DVD player, connected them to Onkyo and my pc's 5.0 setup was working just great. Few months later bought Jamo-210, connected it as i described and there was not any problem. It was working and i tuned it from the knobs behind it. I cannot think of at what point the subwoofer stopped working as i use headphones too a lot, but now few years later it is not working properly. only in windows speaker configuration. There has to be hope as it plays in windows speaker configuration... Right? :D

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:46 AM

Maybe you mis-stated your set-up. You wrote that you have your sub-woofer hooked up to an input jack. You obviously know that could never work. A sub-woofer has to be hooked up to an output jack.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 KarstaHarri

KarstaHarri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

Maybe you mis-stated your set-up. You wrote that you have your sub-woofer hooked up to an input jack. You obviously know that could never work. A sub-woofer has to be hooked up to an output jack.

You are right (jack not input) and thank you for pointing it out (edited it). Hopefully someone understood cause that there cannot be "preout input" :D 

#7 KarstaHarri

KarstaHarri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

And again all my love to all the responses and I dont know what it is but I doubt it is connection problem as this setub have been working with this connections. But who knows!? For example I have moved a lot and do not remember hearing subwoofer in this, my latest apartment so if you think something like faulty connections can cause my subwoofer to play in windows configuration but not otherwise. Be my guest enlighten me. 

Edit: Ofc i have tested all, the sub, receiver and the wires that they all are in working condition. 

Edited by KarstaHarri, 19 March 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

And again all my love to all the responses and I dont know what it is but I doubt it is connection problem as this setub have been working with this connections. But who knows!? For example I have moved a lot and do not remember hearing subwoofer in this, my latest apartment so if you think something like faulty connections can cause my subwoofer to play in windows configuration but not otherwise. Be my guest enlighten me. 

Edit: Ofc i have tested all, the sub, receiver and the wires that they all are in working condition. 

Well looking over your present set-up, it sure looks proper. I am going to play with a few things on my set-up and see if I can imitate your problem. i will post back.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 KarstaHarri

KarstaHarri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

Well looking over your present set-up, it sure looks proper. I am going to play with a few things on my set-up and see if I can imitate your problem. i will post back.

Thank you! Good luck with that!

#10 KarstaHarri

KarstaHarri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

Thank you for all your effort, but I finally did it! I solved it! And this might be helpful to all ATI users suffering the same problem! I dont know why but the problem was new audio drivers that came with ati cataclysm drivers. They werent good enough(?). 

So what I did: 

First I tried just to download R2.79 drivers from Realtek (http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false). Installed them and tried to lauch Realtek HD audio manager, but it didnt recognice that HDMI was plugged in (cause Cataclysm audio drivers were mercilessly harrassing it!! Edit: at this point I uninstalled R2.79 drivers). Custom re-installed cataclysm and unchecked the audio driver box. After that windows recognised my HDMI connection but only as stereo. Tried fast R2.70 drivers if they could do the trick as old drivers they are (from the time my setup was working :D ). It only showed now 5.1 option in windows configure speakers. Again subwoofer worked only when played from windows configure speakers. Then I installed again R2.79 drivers (remember: now there was not cataclysm audio drivers). Opened Realtek HD audio manager and THERE IT WAS! It recogniced HDMI connection ("HDMI Output" tab appeared), but yet sub plays only when test playing it from Realtek HD audio manager. Then I started trying every option and option combination in manager. Solution was that all full range speaker boxes needed to be unchecked and Enable bass management box checked.

Ahhhhhh!!! FINALLY! :D

Edited by KarstaHarri, 19 March 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

This turned out to be a common error with a lot of users setups and newly installed software and drivers.  Things get left out,  reassigned and the registry gets changed, all bad.  Glad you found the problem.

#12 KarstaHarri

KarstaHarri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

Problem was I tought I was all good with the cataclysm audio drivers and the problem was elsewhere cause it played sub in configure speakers and those were the newest drivers. That's why it took so long to figure out the problem.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users