Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feedback on Using Piriform and Malwarebytes Software

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ehlien

Ehlien

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

I was just looking for some feedback on these programs based on someone out there more experienced with them.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Piriform software includes CCleaner, Speccy, Recuva, Defraggler...which product are you looking for feedback on?

Malwarebytes software includes Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit all of which are trustworthy and useful, especially their flagship...Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

I've been using Piriform free products for some time now -- all do a pretty good job at what they're each designed to do!  I added CCEnhancer to kick-start ccleaner at each cold start/warm restart to remove browser cache files.

I've also been using both free and pay-for Malwarebytes AM and AE  -- both of them do a real good job at what they're each designed to do!

Edited by RolandJS, 18 March 2016 - 07:05 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

I am a novice compared to Quitman

But I would highly recomend Malwarebytes to anyone with a PC. Even the free version is better than not having it at all.

Here is what happened to me about 8 years ago on my Windows XP machine

I was downloading some Minnesota Viking pictures on Google, and I clicked one where I had to go to the page to get the image I wanted.

I got a pop up telling me I was infected and I needed to call a certain number

Anyway, what it did was, made whatever I clicked on inoperable, all I got was a popup. I couldnt navigate at all

It disabled Avast and C Cleaner, and I was about to Clean install using my discs, and decided to try Malwarebytes. For some reason it worked and found the virus and got rid of it.

The first thing I did was install Malwarebyts when I bought this machine.

So I would highly recommend it to anyone

I have also been using Ccleaner for many years, and its a really good tool to have installed. I dont use it as much as I did with my XP machine

They both have free versions, so why not?

Thats my two cents :thumbup2:

#5 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

Have used both for years, MBAM and Ccleaner and more recently MBAE. Basically they are probably the most trouble free, useful software you will find. Aboslutely no problems at all.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Have used both for years, MBAM and Ccleaner and more recently MBAE. Basically they are probably the most trouble free, useful software you will find. Aboslutely no problems at all.

Free version MBAM, correct?  I'm thinking of going free on both MBAM and MBAE later this year.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 March 2016 - 06:35 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

Free version MBAM, correct?  I'm thinking of going free on both MBAM MBAE later this year.

Sorry what is MBAE vs MBAM?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

MBAM = Malwarebytes Anti-Malware;  MBAE = Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit; MBAR = Malwarebytes Anti-Ransom.

The reason for piping into this thread about free Malwarebytes:  Since thread is about Malwarebytes products, I wanted to indicate that free MBAM will provide detection and removal during end-user on-demand scans, and

that pay-for MBAM will also provide real time protection shields.  [I'm moving from MB pay-fors to MB free real soon.]

Concerning Piriform products, I have been using free versions for some time now, I never felt the need to get any pay-fors.

#9 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

Why have you decided to go the MB free version?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

Why have you decided to go the MB free version?

'Cause I believe I was in "overkill mode" for some time.  Often, my tactics & strategies confused or merged the differences between multi-level, multi-layered defense with "duplication of application[s]."  Two firewalls, two anti-viri, more than two anti-malware, more than two anti-spyware, and so on.  Pay-fors include real time protection shields, free mostly means doing on-demand scans.  I think Avast and Avira are just two of many utitilies that include real time protection shields even within the free versions.  By going free for almost all of my security programs means much less real time protection shield duplication and becoming more of a fan of the axiom:  less is more.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 March 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application (behavior based) that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against, the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks. MBAE provides four layers of exploit protection to include application hardening, protection against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, and application behavior protection. MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit protects the following applications: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, Java, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, Microsoft Office Word, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, Winamp Player, QuickTime Player, Windows Script Host and Windows Help. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium includes additional protecton (Shields) for PDF readers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Media players and allows the ability to easily add/manage custom shields to protect other applications as well.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Free version MBAM, correct?  I'm thinking of going free on both MBAM MBAE later this year.

Nope, paid version, I have a lifetime license.

#13 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

So is MBAE an yearly contract fee?

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:24 PM

So is MBAE an yearly contract fee?

If memory serves me, MBAM, MBAE, MBAR have licenses for multi-PC and/or multi-year; no more lifetime licenses.

I believe MBAM and MBAR will become one program eventually.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Knowledge License Renewal FAQs