Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feedback on Vtech Software Solutions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ehlien

Ehlien

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

Last week while on vacation my computer began upgrading to Windows 10 so I let it go. Today back home I started to get this Visual and Audio message telling me  AT&T customer contact AT&T support your computer may have been compromised and you may be vulnerable to loss of your data, photos, pass words and banking info etc. It was quite a different alert to the usual call I just blow off so I went to the support site which I thought was AT&T but turned out to be VTECH. I'm running MacAfee but after the free initial scan the tech showed me many programs that had failed but some that were running in the background that were slowing my computer by 20% and he said might be trojan threats so I agreed to a full scan and clean up. Part of the service was installation of malware security for 6 months after which I will have to decide to re-up for a charge or switch over to something different. Since I'm a total rookie at this I wanted to get some feed back from the pros here. Did I make the right decision and how to I handle this going forward.  Thanks for your feedback !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

Looks like a fishy company to me. Many complaints about them, even accusations of "scam".

https://www.bbb.org/boston/business-reviews/computers-service-and-repair/vtech-software-solution-inc-in-melrose-ma-137424/Complaints#breakdown

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hmm .. great to know. They seemed professional and went right through the computer,  took about an hour, and gave me a 6 month guarantee, but no better business accreditation is a concern.   I paid $199 for the service .  I saw them opening and scanning for different programs and it looked like they used the Piriform cleaner and Malwarebytes programs to do most of the heavy cleaning and any repair. I'm thinking going forward it would be cheaper and more effective to just buy and load those programs myself.  .. Any thoughts?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

It would indeed be cheaper to just buy the programs directly and use them when needed. Though the premium version of these programs include real-time operations (protection, scan, etc.) so it's even better that way.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

Thanks .. I guess I know how to go down the road.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

Hmm .. great to know. They seemed professional and went right through the computer,  took about an hour, and gave me a 6 month guarantee, but no better business accreditation is a concern.   I paid $199 for the service .  I saw them opening and scanning for different programs and it looked like they used the Piriform cleaner and Malwarebytes programs to do most of the heavy cleaning and any repair. I'm thinking going forward it would be cheaper and more effective to just buy and load those programs myself.  .. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a scam to me. Everything they did you could have done with the right free tutorial on the web. $199 is a lot of money for the tasks they performed. I think piriform makes mostly free software. Malwarebytes is free unless you want features like live scanning. Then it is a yearly cost of $35 I think? Nowhere near a whopping $199.

Last week while on vacation my computer began upgrading to Windows 10 so I let it go. Today back home I started to get this Visual and Audio message telling me  AT&T customer contact AT&T support your computer may have been compromised and you may be vulnerable to loss of your data, photos, pass words and banking info etc. It was quite a different alert to the usual call I just blow off so I went to the support site which I thought was AT&T but turned out to be VTECH.<snip>

This definitely sounds like a scam to me. Seems like some bad software, fake tech support, got on your computer.

#7 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

Unfortunately unless  your an expert its getting pretty hard to tell whats a scam and whats legit nowadays!!  At least I did give their web site a phone call to confirm they were a real company before I committed and did see them run Piriform and Malwarebytes so there was at least some basic value to the service.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

They seemed professional and went right through the computer...

Ehh...?  First, I get an unsolicited message, and next, they want to look through my computer?  No siree.  I ain't giving nobody remote access to my computer.

#9 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

Interesting now I just got another guy from India telling me they are getting reports from windows on problems and he takes me through the same whole process trying to show me in the event viewer reports and then we cannot delete them so he wants me to load something else to help and I know where its taking me ..back to the same give us control and we will fix your computer ..amazing since i was just supposedly cleaned and scrubbed an hour or so ago ..

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

But you fell for it ? .....And then they rang an hour later to try again to see if Twice Bitten Twice Shy .{ Probably his Brother }.

Still costed you $199:00 for nothing , and there is no 6 mths Guarantee { But I can Guarantee they will ring again }.

Overall who rings to say you have an Issue in the first place , how would they know ?

If you had said I dont have a PC , they will hang up or curse you { Yes mostly Indian accents }

Its Microsoft Technician calling , or Telecoms Team , theres many that take advantage of the unsuspecting.

Start warning others that you know , not to fall for the same trap.

And Bleeping Computers is free for any advice with helpful staff and contributors to assist.

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

Had to have a look at the their Site: VTECH SOFTWARE...........Very Dubious .

This is their Disclaimer , and i highlighted the Spelling Mistakes and Miss Pronounciations.....LMAO.

And underlined the Dubious Quotes:

- Disclamer

VTech Software Solution Inc is an independent third party online tech support services provider for software , hardware and peripherls.VTech Software Solution Inc herby disclaims its spon-sorship, partnetship, afflation, or endorsement regarding any such third party trademarks and brand name and also pro-claims that use of such terms including third party trademarks and brand names by VTech Software Solution Inc Solution is only referentail in nature and it essentially doesn't imply any business related assocation and partnetship our certified technician will provide you full support in solving your problems through online assistance or through remote access to your desktop.

Looks Like a Dead Give Away - Doesnt It !!!!! 

#12 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:23 AM

Live and learn. Wish I had found this site first. At least they did run Piriform cleaner and Malwarebytes. (which they removed after they ran)  Now I will load them myself and use bleeping for any future help. .

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 Ehlien

Ehlien
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:20 AM

So my next question is ... if you were fooled into their service and paid up do you have recourse to get your $$ back????  And if so how?  I used a credit card to pay.

Edited by Ehlien, 20 March 2016 - 10:22 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

Malwarebytes does not fool anyone in order to use their products. They are a trustworthy and reputable company...many of their team whom provide free volunteer help to victims of malware infection.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware payment, refunds, ID's and Keys are managed by Cleverbridge

Cleverbridge - Here's how to get a refund on your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users