Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Simple Back up Technique

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ehlien

Ehlien

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

I have a new external hard drive....what is the best way to do a simple periodic back up to save personal files and data . Its a Dell computer so I assume the Operating system should be easily recovered directly through them if needed and I have office 365 so that is cloud sourced I believe.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:01 PM

Since you used the term "simple", the simplest way would be to manually copy the files to your external drive.  If you are looking for a more sophisticated method then you need to elaborate some more.

And yes, most recent computers have a recovery partition and a some program from the manufacturer for restoring the operating system to its factory condition.  I am not familiar with the mechanism in Dell computers.

Edited by Agouti, 18 March 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

To me the simplest and easiest way is to get a good backup/restore program and set it up to make periodic full system backups.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which is free for home use.  A lot of folks here on BC use the Macrium program, and there are many more.  You just install one of these, set it up to make the backups automatically when you want, and it will do the rest automatically.

If you just back up your data and then restore to factory settings, you have to redo all the tweaks you've made to Windows (including email setup and contacts, browser favorites, taskbar icons, etc. etc.), reinstall your programs, and copy all your data back when the need arises.  That can take a whole lot of time and effort.  With full system backups, you can be back up and running in 30 minutes.

Good luck. 

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

Since you used the term "simple", the simplest way would be to manually copy the files to your external drive. 

Very easy and convenient is to use the command line script. 
You can run it manually or automatically. Like you desire. Nothing isn't needed to buy.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

++1 to Niweg!  In my experience, the concept simple and restorable have been at odds, have been unable to coexist, with one another; often, fast and simple on the backup end makes for complications and LotsOWork on the restore end.  Niweg's post gives, IMO, the best way to make routine and restorable backups.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users