Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The display driver has stopped responding and recovered"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rawaralbihn

Rawaralbihn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

Hi!

When I play games on my notebook laptop, this message randomly pops up at inappropriate times (allways). The game shuts down and the screen turns black for 1.5 seconds. Afterwards the home screen pops up. First comes another messages window that says:

Directx Error

Directx function " GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE HUNG: Device due to badly performed commands.. GPU: "AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 series", Driver: 15.7.1 (15.20.1062.1004-15803a1-187669C)

This happens in modern games. Especially BF3 and BF4, but In the most older games ( BF1942, Crysis 2, etcetera) instead of show any message, the screen turns black and then goes back to game again which happens several times after each other until blue screen appear and the computer starts a reboot.

I have reinstalled latest drivers, which doesn't makes any difference.

I have tried with older drivers which doesn't makes any difference either. 

What can I do to make things turn back to normal again? Can a virus be the cause to this problem? My computer have problems with virus that won´t go away.

My graphics card is a Radeon HD 5850 1GB Vram and I have a HP Envy 17 laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

Hi. . .

You are likely experiencing 0x117 Video TDR Timeouts, i.e., "Live Kernel Events". Video TDR error - "the video driver is unable to reset itself in 30 seconds".  A 0x117 is basically the same as a 0x116 BSOD, but with a 0x117, the video driver is able to reset itself. 0x116 TDRs result in BSODs.

You also probably have lots of "watchdog" dumps - C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG - but they all will list your video drivers as the cause and therefore are not really any use to us.

See if Furmark has anything to say about your video card - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3907-furmark-display-card-stress-test.html

Unfortunately, 0x116 + 0x117 bugchecks usually end up being hardware failure -- meaning that your video card is probably bad.

Additional info on Video TDR Timeouts - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html

If you end up getting a new video card, get NVIDIA. I see 1,000 ATI BSODs for every 1 NVIDIA related BSOD.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 18 March 2016 - 01:32 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 Rawaralbihn

Rawaralbihn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

Hi. . .

You are likely experiencing 0x117 Video TDR Timeouts, i.e., "Live Kernel Events". Video TDR error - "the video driver is unable to reset itself in 30 seconds".  A 0x117 is basically the same as a 0x116 BSOD, but with a 0x117, the video driver is able to reset itself. 0x116 TDRs result in BSODs.

You also probably have lots of "watchdog" dumps - C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG - but they all will list your video drivers as the cause and therefore are not really any use to us.

See if Furmark has anything to say about your video card - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3907-furmark-display-card-stress-test.html

Unfortunately, 0x116 + 0x117 bugchecks usually end up being hardware failure -- meaning that your video card is probably bad.

Additional info on Video TDR Timeouts - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html

If you end up getting a new video card, get NVIDIA. I see 1,000 ATI BSODs for every 1 NVIDIA related BSOD.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Hey!

Thanks for the detailed answer. So there's really nothing I can do to fix the problem then? I wondering what causes these sort of error... Overheating?

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:19 AM

Usually it's an issue with the video card.

I guess that overheating could cause the video card to fail; not sure. Unfortunately, I am not a hardware expert. All of my systems are store-bought laptops.

The next step here would be to swap the video card out, if possible - and test.

You have covered the driver end by testing several versions of the video driver to no avail.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users