Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Question] Multi Function USB

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 radam9

radam9

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

Hello there,

Well i am trying to create a Multi function usb, and am having quite some trouble getting the result I want.

So below is what I have available and what I want to achieve, I am not sure if it is possible to achieve what I want or not so bear with me please :) .

Available Items:

-Laptop running windows 10

-32GB Kingston DataTraveler USB 3.0

-4GB empty USB

-Linux ISO

-Partition Magic ISO

Requirements (in the 32GB USB):

-1 Partition for data storage and access on Windows/Linux (about 15 GB, the remainder of the USB capacity) 

-1 Partition for Live Linux booting (4GB)

-1 Parttition for Linux installation (10GB)

So i want to be able to choose to either boot from the live partition or from the installed partition depending on the PC i am using, while having the remainder of the USB as storage to be used across Windows and Linux.

I have been looking for the past couple of days for solution to this, but i couldnt find anything.

PS: I am not very good with linux or partitioning and such, so if possible try to make any explanations simple please :)

Thank you a lot for your time and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

Hi radam9.

Quick question. You state you have a 32GB USB and a 4GB one. Then for the 32GB you want it to have 3 partitions. One would be for an installed Linux, the other for a Live Linux. Why not use the 4GB drive for the Live Linux? That then takes off some requirements for your 32GB drive, and makes it less complicated.

Or am I missing something with your explanation?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 nurvware

nurvware

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

hover2.png

Easy2boot - http://www.easy2boot.com/

Just spent a few days figuring out easy2boot. I now have a 128gb USB pen that can boot and install Windows 7 or Windows 10 as well as run other live ISOs such as PartedMagic.

Making and booting the USB is quite easy but I struggled a little with getting Windows to install unattended, but now resolved, easy2boot is a lot easier to configure now that it was when I first tried it a few months ago. great tool

Edited by nurvware, 18 March 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#4 radam9

radam9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hi radam9.

Quick question. You state you have a 32GB USB and a 4GB one. Then for the 32GB you want it to have 3 partitions. One would be for an installed Linux, the other for a Live Linux. Why not use the 4GB drive for the Live Linux? That then takes off some requirements for your 32GB drive, and makes it less complicated.

I don't know how complicated it will be, but i would like all 3 things to be on the 32GB USB, i just noted that i have 4GB usb in case it can be used to perform the task i want.

If it is too complicated/impossible then i will settle with having 1 Storage partition and 1 Live boot/Installation partition and have the other on the other usb

hover2.png

Easy2boot - http://www.easy2boot.com/

Just spent a few days figuring out easy2boot. I now have a 128gb USB pen that can boot and install Windows 7 or Windows 10 as well as run other live ISOs such as PartedMagic.

Making and booting the USB is quite easy but I struggled a little with getting Windows to install unattended, but now resolved, easy2boot is a lot easier to configure now that it was when I first tried it a few months ago. great tool

Will check it out and see if i can get anything done with it, thanks for sharing :)

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

Hi radam9.

I don't know how complicated it will be, but i would like all 3 things to be on the 32GB USB, i just noted that i have 4GB usb in case it can be used to perform the task i want.

If it is too complicated/impossible then i will settle with having 1 Storage partition and 1 Live boot/Installation partition and have the other on the other usb

I would consider just using the 4GB drive for the Live Linux, then use the 32 for the other stuff. If it's there might as well use it. That also gives you the additional space for the installed Linux on the 32 drive. My opinion anyway.

I never heard of the easy2boot program. So can't comment one way or another on that.

#6 radam9

radam9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

Hi radam9.

I would consider just using the 4GB drive for the Live Linux, then use the 32 for the other stuff. If it's there might as well use it. That also gives you the additional space for the installed Linux on the 32 drive. My opinion anyway.

I never heard of the easy2boot program. So can't comment one way or another on that.

Ok, how do i go about Making the 2 Partitions (1 storage and 1 installation) ?

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

I would use a Live cd of Gparted for that.

BC has a tutorial on gparted actually. It is located here.

Also here is gparted's website. You can download the latest from there.

*Edit

The tutorial is kind of old, so if you download the latest it won't look like exactly the same. But the functions you have to do are the same, so you should be able to follow it.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 18 March 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#8 radam9

radam9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the links!

Unfortunately after partitioning the USB and booting the laptop on linux using the 4GB usb while the 32GB usb is also plugged in, I cant get the linux to be installed on the partition automatically.

And if I choose manual installation, i have to create about 4 different partitions (/home, /root, /swap ...etc) which i have no idea about.

Any idea how to get through that? :(

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

You shouldn't have to mess with creating separate partitions for /root, /home, etc. You can install them all on one. When you go to install Linux to the 32GB, you need to choose "Advanced settings" for where to install Linux to. From there you can choose your 32GB drive, then the partition you want it on. The key is to choose the highest level to be " / " (could be called "/root" as well, but I think it typically is described as " / " in the installer). That will put everything on the same partition. Basically that is saying that the highest level you want on that partition is the root directory, it will then install everything else under that on the same partition.

I would make a quick screenshots for you on the distro you want to install... but I am at work so unfortunately I can't do that. If what I said doesn't' make much sense, let me know.

#10 radam9

radam9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

I am currently trying to install the latest version of Kali Linux, and as i stated in the first post that i am using windows 10.

When installing Kali (i boot using the 4gb usb and try to install onto the 32gb one), I choose install using "Graphical Install" and when it comes to the partitions this is what i get...

http://docs.kali.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/10-partitionmethod.png

if i choose manual i get to a screen similar to this (http://docs.kali.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/13-finish-partitioning.png)

and if i click on the second partition of the usb, it doesnt give me an option to install the kali linux in that partition. 

Instead it tells me how i want to use this partition (/home, /root, ext4....etc).

so I don't know how to fully install the Kali onto the partition i created, i can only choose the who drive (usb) :S

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

Hmm.. looking around online real quick, I wonder if Kali wants separate partitions for everything. I haven't installed Kali in a while and I can't remember exactly how they configure everything, sorry about that. If you can wait, I'll check when I get home and see how it works (won't be until later today). Unless someone else comes along and beats me to it.

Also I found this. You can give it a look, I unfortunately can't see the pictures here at work, so I am not entirely sure if it will help. But worth a try.

#12 radam9

radam9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

Well i have got all the time, unless i figure a way to do it before you get home :D :D .

Thank you very much for your help this far ! :D

Hmm, the images in the link arent working, its not related to ur work. I will try and see if i can get anywhere using that tutorial, if not i will be waiting for your help later on :) . or anyone elses suggestions

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

I've never installed Kali, but it uses the Debian installer and I'm reasonably familiar with it.

if i click on the second partition of the usb, it doesnt give me an option to install the kali linux in that partition

According to your screen shot, the second partition, sda5, is a 2.1 GB swap partition.

There are just two partitions on the device in your screen shot. The first partition, sda1, is a 66.6 GB ext4 partition which would be suitable for installing Kali on.

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

@AI. Those screen grabs are from the standard Kali documentation, not the OP screen shots. :)

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

LOL, so they are. :)

if i click on the second partition of the usb, it doesnt give me an option to install the kali linux in that partition.

Instead it tells me how i want to use this partition (/home, /root, ext4....etc).

As DeimosChaos said:

"The key is to choose the highest level to be " / " (could be called "/root" as well, but I think it typically is described as " / " in the installer)."

Is there an option called " / "?

If not, choose /root.

The installer is just asking you what you want to use the partition as; it's not saying you have to create several partitions. You have to tell the installer what you want to use the partition as before you can install Kali on it.

In the format box, choose ext4.

Edited by Al1000, 18 March 2016 - 02:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users