Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Dual boot Windows 8/8.1 with Linux mint 17.1

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

Hi all

Not too long ago I did a dual boot of my XP and Mint 17.1 and
with the help from you guys all went well.
I have now convince my better half to join the club and to dual boot
her laptop which is W8/8.1 also with Mint 17.1 (I can use the same ISO)
My question is simply, do I use the same procedure to do this install
as I did with my XP or is there a different procedure for that.
These are her specs:- (well not actually hers but her laptops):)
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit
CPU
Intel Celeron 1000M @ 1.80GHz 57 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Intel PLCSF8 (U3E1) 57 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Toshiba)
Storage
465GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050 (SATA) 41 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208AB
HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Cheers all

Edited by rozzer, 18 March 2016 - 03:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

The first question is....why are you doing this? Is your wife a malware or adware magnet---prone to getting infected?

Has your wife used your computer and able to do all that she does in Windows especially if she is using Windows programs

such as Office? Will her computer boot from the Linux DVD or Flash Drive that you now have using only as LIVE...not installed?

Are there any programs she now uses in Windows--can't do without---that are not compatible with Linux?

A step by step guide for installing: How To Dual Boot Windows 8.1 And Linux Mint (this is just one such howto. Others can be found by using this topic title to search)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

Pretty much all Linux dual boots work the same the only thing of concern is what the computer uses as its bios or UEFI back-end (the splash screen that your computer uses to identify the manufacturer or motherboard maker) as sometimes this can cause Linux not to even load. Considering that this is a Toshiba laptop it is very unlikely that you won't be able to use Linux on it as Toshiba computers nowadays really rely on Windows and lock down the UEFI so that one could not load a CD DVD or USB thumb drive to install Linux on it so she might be stuck using Windows 8 do to Toshiba being a bunch of jerks that's why I don't buy Toshiba computers anymore as they have locked themselves down to windows and won't allow anything other than that to load

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

Hi

@buddy215 and MadmanRB.....My wifes pc does suffer the occasional problem which I have
had to resolve using various tools and with your help if I might add, however
I have to do all the tedious task required to keep it up to date so from my point of
view Windows in general is becoming to much work, doing scans, updating programs, doing
Windows updates and having to juggle so I don't get W10 updates etc. Having everything
on auto is pointless for me as I have a limited amount of data on my modem and as a
pensioner cost is important. She only uses the Laptop basically for her mail, some
spreadsheets and some documents and mostly for games i.e Solitaire and Sudoku.
All this she can do easily and more cleanly using Linux as she is familiar with L/O.
Also for any surfing she wants to do Linux is much safer.
Regarding the Boot order and running Linux live disc's there is a problem I have now
discovered I am unable to run a live Linux disc and even when I change the boot order
to try and load the disc first, Toshiba override my bios settings and revert to loading
Windows as you so rightly said MadmanRB.
If that is the final story that I am left with just Windows8/8.1 or the option to upgrade to
W10 then it looks like I will have to backup all my/her files etc. restore the pc to factory
settings and sell it with the aim of buying another I can dual boot with or just have Linux
only.
If there is another way to do it I am all ears.

Thanks a million all

Cheers

Edited by rozzer, 19 March 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,482 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

rozzer, why don't you give us the Model also, and the Link to the Model if you have the specific one that she has.  It is important that this is as accurate as possible.  And, make sure you are using a 64bit iso!

You should also read up on UEFI

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

I found some discussion on Toshiba and booting from a Disk. Suggest you read through that as one or more commenters

seem to of found a solution for configuring Toshiba to boot from Disk. Read all of the comments. 2 pages.

CD/DVD will not boot up for P855-S5200 Toshiba Sat... - TOSHIBA FORUMS

Examples: Thanks to this forum, I had no trouble booting my new Toshiba Satellite C855D from the CD to install Fedora Linux.  Repeatedly press F12 during startup to get into the system configuration menus.  In the Scurity menu, disable "Secure Boot."  In the Boot menu, change bootmode to CSM.  This is grayed out until you disable secure boot.

on my laptop it dosen't let go to boot settings while it's booting but i found a program that changes the boot settings. i'm not sure if this is on your computer but found it on mine. search for a program called "system settings". i think it uses that instead of a bios screen so it's "noob compatible"

I couldn't post the image contained in the 2nd Example. But you will see it when you go to the site.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

why don't you give us the Model also, and the Link to the Model if you have the specific one that she has.

All the information needed has been provided by the OP.

#8 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

Hi all

Just an update of events so far.
I have still had no success but I have discovered I am having issues
with my disc drive, I tried a retail audio disc and it doesn't work using
VLC, I then tried to open using Toshiba media player and it is no longer listed
it appears as though somehow it has been removed, VLC is there opens but doesn't
activate, the only thing that works is Windows media player, I am now concerned
that the problem with my Linux live disc not loading is to do with this.
I checked Bios and 'Secure boot' is enabled' I have restore the drive order back
to where it was until I sort this out.
I think I should close this post and open a new one in the Windows section to see if
I can resolve this issue first, Everything used to work fine and I hope it's nothing
to do with these many Windows updates.

So for now guys thankyou

Cheers

Edited by rozzer, 20 March 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,482 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

why don't you give us the Model also, and the Link to the Model if you have the specific one that she has.

All the information needed has been provided by the OP.

These Specs could be incorrect, remember, like before?  I have a Toshiba that don't like Linux either and won't install without special attention, so it would be good to be sure.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

Hi all

Just an update of events so far.
I have still had no success but I have discovered I am having issues
with my disc drive, I tried a retail audio disc and it doesn't work using
VLC, I then tried to open using Toshiba media player and it is no longer listed
it appears as though somehow it has been removed, VLC is there opens but doesn't
activate, the only thing that works is Windows media player, I am now concerned
that the problem with my Linux live disc not loading is to do with this.
I checked Bios and 'Secure boot' is enabled' I have restore the drive order back
to where it was until I sort this out.
I think I should close this post and open a new one in the Windows section to see if
I can resolve this issue first, Everything used to work fine and I hope it's nothing
to do with these many Windows updates.

So for now guys thankyou

Cheers

rozzer, you won't have access to the Toshiba Media Player nor WMC , I also have an older version of a Toshiba notebook w/1st gen i5-580M, the CPU a self upgrade from the i3-370M, once you have your Linux Mint 17.1 OS installed. Here's the link to the CPU I upgraded to, so am capable of learning on the run. It required a near teardown of the notebook to install the CPU, in the end, was well worth it for the extra features that the i3 doesn't have, and the cost was less than $15 on eBay (guaranteed working pull). 

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-580M-Notebook-Processor.33839.0.html

You'll see a pop-up screen after reboot, yet don't worry about that the first time, enable your Firewall, update your computer, reboot, and when you see the pop-up screen again with the links, look for the 'Install multimedia codecs' one & click to install these. Now you should have what you need to enjoy your retail audio disc. 

One last thing to address, and you'll have to install this within Windows 8.1 (or Windows 10), EasyBCD 2.3 is the latest version that was written to make it work on Windows 10, but also works with earlier OS's. The trick when installing, after installing EasyBCD 2.3, assign the bootloader install to Mint's root partition. Then boot to 8.1 & create New Entry, you'll have to click the Linux/BSD tab, name the OS anything you desire, and point the bootloader at the root partition where it was just installed, and click 'Save Settings'. 

What I described above is a bit simplified, but am on Linux Mint at the moment, and don't have the EasyBCD 2.3 GUI to look at. One good thing about it, you won't have to double boot to get to the OS you want anymore. The first link gives a bit of information about the changes & can even download from there. It's not nearly a Full 5 Star rated app for nothing. :thumbup2:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3112-easybcd.html

The 2nd is the official site, where you can still download for free, only providing an email address & name. Yet that's where support is for EasyBCD 2.3, there's tutorials & they have a forum to ask questions/resolve issues. I was one of the beta testers mentioned on the page. NeoSmart Technologies has been around for quite some time, when Windows 10 was released, they provided the EasyRE bootable repair ISO's for no charge for the first 2-3 months after release, now like the prior versions for each OS, these are not free of cost. I downloaded it, just as I did the Windows 7/Vista ones long ago, and have all three. Precious resources to have. :)

Here's the official site.

https://neosmart.net/blog/2015/easybcd-2-3/

Good Luck with Linux Mint 17.1, please don't throw in the towel over minor stuff. BTW, there's a setting in there to go back to the old style bootloader to save you more time. :thumbup2:

Am going to need it myself, as my AMD build is now running in Full UEFI mode, other than Secure Boot enabled, had to flash the GPU to a UEFI compatible BIOS to make it happen (while in CSM mode), provided by MSI for their version of the AMD Radeon 7770 OC edition. After all, on the box, it stated 'Windows 8 Compatible', so it was the right thing to do to provide UEFI BIOS. It's a bit tricky to install, using the HP USB disk format tool & some Win98 (didn't understand the 'why' of that part), but done it, booted from the USB stick & typed in the provided command after booting to it, within 10 seconds, it was shown to be a success & to reboot. 

So there are solutions to everything, you must be persistent & willing to understand/follow instruction, you'll have Linux Mint up & running by having those qualities. :)

Plus anything else you wish to accomplish.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 March 2016 - 02:00 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

Hi
thanks guys for staying with this but I am busy also with dc3 to solve
the disc drive issue which I think needs to be solved before i can progress.

@pcpunk....make and model is Toshiba Satellite....C850-F0055

@cat...thanks for all that info but like I said i need to solve the drive issue
before I can move on. I certainly won't throw the towel in, I love my mint and I
know my better half will once she gets going on it.

cheers

Edited by rozzer, 22 March 2016 - 05:35 AM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,482 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

the disc drive issue which I think needs to be solved before i can progress.

cheers

Or you can use a USB if you like.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:09 AM

The truth is, Secure Boot is not needed at all, it doesn't 'protect' the user, until the person wants to install something they want & is known to be good. 

It's basically looking for unsigned drivers, sometimes these are needed, one example are graphics cards on a PC. So having Secure Boot disabled is an advantage to you & your beloved other half. :)

Makes life easier when working on a UEFI machine. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hi

@pcpunk..I have thought of that also but at some stage I'm going
to have to use the Disk Drive and it makes more sense I think to
solve that first.
#Edit..Also I am still faced with the UEFI lock issue regardless

@cat..Interesting info, I will try disabling it once I have solved
the Disk Drive issue.

Cheers

Edited by rozzer, 23 March 2016 - 03:33 AM.

#15 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:48 AM

Hi again

Hope you are still with me.
Managed to solve my disc drive problems and all is OK there now.
Managed to access bios via UEFI Firmware settings and disabled
Secure boot and changed boot order and Bingo!! Linux loads OK.

Followed the install process to not actually load but to access
the partition details and this is the result:-

Size Used
/dev/sda
free space 1mb
/dev/sda1 ntfs 471mb 320mb
/dev/sda2 efi 272mb 51mb
/dev/sda3 ntfs 134mb 14mb
/dev/sda4 ntfs 488326mb 57585mb
/dev/sda5 ntfs 471mb 374mb
/dev/sda6 ntfs 10430mb 9708mb
free space 0mb
...........................................................................................
Device boot loader installation /dev/sda ATA Toshiba MQO1ABD0 (500.1 gb)
............................................................................................

So far so good, but when I check the details in Windows I am presented with these two :-

Screenshot%20from%202016-03-25%20103337.

Screenshot%20from%202016-03-25%20103436.

I am now rather confused, maybe you can advise

Cheers

Edited by rozzer, 25 March 2016 - 03:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users