Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you feel about Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

So, I wanted to try out Windows 10 on my laptop a few months ago. 2 days later, I downgraded back to 8.1. Here's why:

• 8.1 Is actually my favorite version of Windows. I know, I probably have terrible taste. But, I like the full screen start. I like the little 'Live tiles' that tell you whenever you get a new email. I, despite all the hate surrounding it, LOVED 8.1. It was PERFECT for my needs. But Windows 10 changed too much for me. The way this is going I see 3 different types of people here.           
  1. Windows 7 people
  2. Windows 8.1 people
  3. Windows 10 people

I'm not putting Windows 8 here since I think everyone prefers 8.1 with the Windows button over it.

• Anyway, I don't think they should be advertised as 3 different more and less advanced version of windows, but rather 3 different windows for different people. Classic start, metro start, and a mesh of the two.

Reasons I downgraded:

1. Bugs: I had weird sprite glitches in the taskbar, and got my first ever BSOD that day.
  2. Privacy  (I know it's in Vista and up now, but still.): (I know that you can use a few programs to remove all this, which I have used, but still.) I know you agree to all of it in the fine text, I know it's all legal because of the """""Patriot""""" act, but still. They shouldn't do this. It isn't right.
  3. Lack of personalization options: Huge ugly un-colorable white window bars. Yay. 
  4. It just wasn't for me: I simply preferred windows 8.1. Liked the start menu better. But that's MY opinion, whereas the other three apply to everyone who uses the OS.

Anyway, how do you feel about Windows 10? Good? Bad? Haven't tried it yet? Tell me!

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2016 - 03:59 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonSwanson

RonSwanson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:28 PM

I personally prefer Windows 10 with the program StartIsBack to give it the Windows 7 start button look.

Reasons I downgraded:

1. Bugs: I had weird sprite glitches in the taskbar, and got my first ever BSOD that day.
  2. Privacy  (I know it's in Vista and up now, but still.): (I know that you can use a few programs to remove all this, which I have used, but still.) I know you agree to all of it in the fine text, I know it's all legal because of the """""Patriot""""" act, but still. They shouldn't do this. It isn't right.
  3. Lack of personalization options: Huge ugly un-colorable white window bars. Yay. 
  4. It just wasn't for me: I simply preferred windows 10. Liked the start menu better. But that's MY opinion, whereas the other three apply to everyone who uses the OS.

1. I've never had that problem, never experienced any bugs.

2. I used DWS and SpybotAntiBeacon.

3. You can change the colours in the settings.

4. Fair enough, nothing wrong with preferring some things over others.

#3 fraser71

fraser71

• Members
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

I like Windows 10. The only issue I have ever had with it is with Edge. Sometimes it requires a restart to start working again but I use Chrome so it isn't a big deal. We installed it on all our computers and everything went great. So all in all it has been a great experience.

Respectfully,

Fraser71

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:02 AM

Overall Windows 10 is okay in my mind. I like it better than Windows 8.1 and Windows 8, but not as much as Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP. To date my favorite is Windows Vista. I really hate the movement towards apps. If I want to change X I can use the control panel, but for Y I have to use System Settings app, and that bugs me. I also dislike how much calling-home Windows 10 does. At the end of the day, no operating system is perfect. I can do the things I need using Windows 10, so I'm satisfied with it.

@CaveStoryKing64

I'm not putting Windows 8 here since I think everyone prefers 8.1 with the Windows button over it.

I actually prefered Windows 8. I downloaded the 8.1 update for safe keeping, then reverted to 8, and stayed with 8 until Windows 10 was released at which point I had to update to 8.1 then 10.

I like the full screen start

Me too. I had been wishing that MS would go to a start screen rather than a start menu. I wasn't thrilled with their implemenation, but it was okay. I have my Windows 10 setup to use the fullscreen mode rather than the default start menu mode, and I like the Windows 10 start screen better than the Windows 8 one.

Screenshosts:
-http://i.imgur.com/2owbKga.png

-http://i.imgur.com/CQdXbd8.png

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

The real issue here isn't about windows 10 itself, objectionable as I find it to be. The real issues are the methods being used to try and make all of us use it, despite the fact that many of us have exercised our free will and said NO.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

The real issue here isn't about windows 10 itself, objectionable as I find it to be. The real issues are the methods being used to try and make all of us use it, despite the fact that many of us have exercised our free will and said NO.

Exactly. I had to go through all of the trouble of tweaking the registry just to get GWX off my computer. They should let people use something else if they want.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

For me windows 10 is a million times better then windows 8 and 8.1.

Yes even with 8.1 I think the whole thing was a big mess and a mistake.

One thing that bothered me yes was that stupid full screen menu, it always broke consistency.

Next win 8/8.1 apps were full screen, I mean come on this is a computer not a iphone.

Face it the only reason why windows 8 exists is that Microsoft wanted to make smartphones. 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:21 AM

I have Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview on two desktops and Windows 10 Home on my new laptop.  It took a little getting used to because of changes MS made to the user interface, but being a geek of many years I didn't have much trouble.  I've seen a good number of older non-technical folks who've had great trouble getting accustomed to it, and I wish MS would either stop changing the user interface or at least give us a compatibility mode like we can get with Classic Shell.  Thank goodness for Classic Shell!  I still have Windows 7 on my main desktop and my wife's desktop, and don't plan on changing that before 2020 while 7 is still supported.

Once I've gotten used to Windows 10, I have very few problems with it.  However, like others have said, I despise the way MS is forcing the upgrade on folks.  For 18 years since Windows 98 came out I've had the option to download and install Windows Updates turned on with no problem.  Then last week I went to my main desktop and found it had installed the Windows 10 upgrade without asking, and wanted me to accept the EULA.  *@#$%!!  I clicked the don't accept option and 45 minutes later I was back to my good old Windows 7 Pro, but had to reinstall one of my programs (intellimouse).  Then there's what I call "snoopware" or telemetry.  I went into Settings and turned it all off except for basic diagnostic feedback.  Some say they need the telemetry to make Cortana better, but if you turn Cortana off, there are still some 50+ switches you have to turn off.  Some say well other manufacturers are just as bad.  When I was a kid my mother had the answer "if everybody else went and jumped in the fire, would you do that too?".  

As far as upgrading a laptop goes, I have one thing to say - DON'T DO IT!  The reason is that most laptop parts are proprietary, and you're likely to have driver incompatibilities if you upgrade.  Most common are touchpad and WiFi problems.

And finally a piece of friendly advice.  If you're going to take the free upgrade, for goodness sakes make a full system backup to an external hard drive before hand.  Most of the problems I see in these forums could easily be solved if people would just do this.  Most experienced users know that this is an absolute necessity, yet so many rush in where angels fear to tread and don't do it.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

I never used 8.1. I came directly from 7 on an older Home laptop and an older Pro desktop. No issues except for having to find a driver for the laptop trackpad, and a few days of figuring things out. Looking back, Win 7 seems old-fashioned, kinda like 2000. Rock solid, but without the bells and whistles.

I like being up to date. I like the enhanced security Win 10 provides. But, possibly, most of all, I like not having to fight against a forced upgrade. Had I decided not to go with the upgrade, I'd be going nuts and saying a few choice words. Maybe more than a few....

#10 Raxx425

Raxx425

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

Windows 10 is the sweet spot for me! They took the best of windows 7-8.1 and refined it into windows 10.

#11 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

For me personally WINDOWS 10 is da bomb. It is really awesome. before now I was a VISTA user for about 4 years. I barely touched 8.1 as that was the os this current computer came with but I chose the upgrade route and I am very happy with it.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:40 AM

The person using his local computer does not expect it to require signing into to a website just to use his computer.  He expects to sign in to a website/webpage when he wants to use that web page somewhere in the internet.  Windows 10 has already tricked me into forming a new MS account just to sign in to WINDOWS.

"Apps" are of no interest to me.  If I want a program to install on the Windows 10 computer, I want to run an installer file to install the program.   Most programs I would want to run need no interaction to the internet to run them - only for maybe downloading the needed installer.

Windows XP, Vista, & 7, had a Control Panel.  Windows 10 has Settings instead, not too neatly arranged, and available in an out-of-the way manner, there is also a Control Panel.  Formats of these two things are not the same.  MS should pick one or the other.  I like Control Panel better.

The tree-like structuring of the Start menus in Win XP, Vista, 7, were nice.  This visual structing is missing in Win 10.  On the other hand, the alphabetizing is good.

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

There IS a Control Panel in Windows 10.  Right-click the Start button to get to it.  You'll get a new menu of things you can get to when you do that including a path to Device Manager. You didn't have to create a new account either, I've been using my Yahoo account which works just fine.  Still I agree that I wish they'd stop changing the user interface.  I'm told they added Settings because of their effort to have Windows 10 on tablets and phones which don't have a control panel.  

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

Well there is nothing wrong with changing the UI, its just that Microsoft has been very manic depressive about it

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

I love Windows 10. It is a million times better than any other OS out there.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users