Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge Problem!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bre S

Bre S

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

Ok so I have a corrupted registry. My computer was working fine last night then all the sudden I go to load it up and check my e-mail before work and wham it is broken!!! Well I have looked into it a lot and i'm stumped!!! I have gone to the website:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307545

thinking this was the answer to my problem as it was for another person that had the same issue... but no not for my sweet little dell xps. So now i'm at the stage where i'm entering the command prompts, yes i'm in phase 1 still.... so I enter the first one and it says to me.......

The system cannot find the file specified.

My computer is not loading correctly because i'm missing file:

windows\system32\config\system

HELP!! I don't know what else to do and its giving me a headache!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:33 AM

Boot in safe mode by pressing F8 as soon as the computer begins booting before Windows starts and choose the "Last Known Good Configuration" choice.

#3 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

Ive tried that but it says that it cant load, because of the system template being gone.

#4 putergeekgirl

putergeekgirl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Can you get into safemode and do a system restore to yesterday?

#5 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

no. i cant get into the computer at all. I'll type exactly what it says, no matter if i try safe mode, or normal:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried the repair but it does not work because the file cannot even be copied to a temporary file because it is gone. So the computer wont even do anything but go to this screen.

#6 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:49 PM

Is there anywhere that I can locate the backup file of the system32 system file that I need so that I can just pull it from there???

Maybe that would work or something?

#7 kanbun

kanbun

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

I had this problem and finally figured out a fix today. Do you have a WinXp setup disk, i.e., can you boot to the WinXp setup from the CD? If so, choose the repair option and get to the c:\windows prompt on the screen. Then run CHKDSK /R. I did this, and following the run, the computer booted normally on restart. The key to this is getting access thru the setup CD.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

The file you need to replace is on the Windows installation disk.

#9 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:12 AM

How do I pull it from that disk?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:21 AM

If this doesn't work for you (I don't know squat about the Recovery Console) - try doing a repair installation of XP. Here's some instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

This will automatically rebuild your registry and the computer should then be able to boot normally.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

What i would suggest would be to go to support.microsoft.com. Within that site to the right of the page put in 307545 in the search area and that will give you a fix for a corrupted registry. This involves booting to the xp cd and if you do not have one avail. then i would suggest getting the 6 boot floppies from the microsoft website to get into the recovery console. Other than that the only other option would be to do a parallel install to back up data. to get that just put in parallel install into the search area to get the instructions. Once all data is backed up then do a clean install because the parallel is unstable and is only used to back up data. If you need any assistance please post back or email.

#12 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:17 AM

Ok lets say I do a parallel install. How do i get the data from my other os to save it and also how risky is it that I may indeed loose my original files?

I'm worried because I have a lot of information on my computer that isnt backed up (stupid me I know) but I just really want to get it before I do a clean install. I hope that I'll be able to get my data before I have to reinstall...

#13 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

All that has to be done after the parallel is to go into the c:\ and the old install will probley the normal windows where with the parallel install there will be a new folder there that would be the new install. The windows folder can be accessed and the information that is contained in there can be burned onto cd if there is a burner in the system. I will post the steps for the parallel here aswell

1. insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM or
DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on the
screen, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.

3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to begin Windows XP
Setup.

4. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.

5. If prompted for a repair install the press ESC to continue without repairing

6.Select the partition in which you want to install Windows XP, and
then press ENTER.

7. Choose the "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)"
option, and then press ENTER to continue.

8. Press ESC to install to a different folder.

9. If Setup detects another operating system folder, Setup prompts you
to type the name for the new folder after the back slash (\), for
example, "\WINXP" (without the quotation marks). If there are no other
operating systems detected, Setup automatically names the folder
"\Windows" (without the quotation marks).

10. Press ENTER to continue.

11. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

12.When it prompts for a user account, use an account that is not already on the
system like TEMP123

It will be fine to work on for a while but will eventually become a problem that why a clean install is best to do after all of the data is backed up

#14 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:53 AM

Now that I have my parallel account how do i get to the files on the other one so that I can back up the other data?

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:05 AM

Personally I would have used a Live Linux to run from RAM and burn the data from the windows folder to cd, or move them to a different partition or drive. It would have been alot simpler, especially if you are going to do a clean install of XP afterwards.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users