Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White screen at various times during PC use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcbug

pcbug

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

Multiple times today my PC has displayed an all white screen but the mouse cursor is visible. The first time I noticed this was after an idle period (more than an hour) I rebooted the PC but the white screen returned, I rebooted again and it was gone but the PC took longer than normal to load windows. The PC then ran for several hours in a "normal" state (I didn't notice any issues but I'm a novice) however after an idle period (more than 30 minutes) the white screen returned. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete brought the desktop back up (I did not attempt this the first time) and the computer once again appears to be running fine.

I ran my Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes full scans in regular mode and the MBAM scan displayed several PUPs from "mindspark" which have been removed.

Can anyone direct me where I can go for help. Are they any files/reports I can post that will help diagnose the issue?

Thank you.

Edited by pcbug, 17 March 2016 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hi,first off you could post in the Am i infected Forum,just to make sure its not a virus issue.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

You don't suppose this is a screen saver of some type, do you?  Does anything happen if you wiggle the mouse?  You could check for corrupt system files by opening an administrative command prompt and issuing this command: sfc /scannow .  It will run 15 - 20 minutes.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Open you registry editor to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe
and delete
DisableExceptionChainValidation

Edited by dhjohns, 13 April 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

Open you registry editor to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exeand delete
DisableExceptionChainValidation

This may work,but just remember to  back up your registry before you make this or any important change to your system.

You could use Windows All in One Repair to do this,just install,open the program,go to tab 5 and  Back up Registry.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users