Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Short buzz from inside the PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

A couple of weeks ago my PC (powered by a XFX XTR 650W + APC Smart UPS) was running smoothly, downloading various distros I wanted to "play" with, when a power failure occurred.

It was like half a second (very common here, lucky me!). I didn't worry, after all the UPS is keeping me safe, isn't it?

I didn't notice any particular issue in the next days, so I forgot the thing.

A few days ago I was downloading another bunch of files and I did notice one thing:

- every now and then I hear a short (1 sec.) buzz-like noise coming from inside the case

- it's not loud, but I can hear it

- sometimes it is more frequent (every 1 or 2 minutes), sometimes it is much less frequent

- each buzz is followed by an intensified HDD led activity (blinking) that lasts for a couple of seconds

- each buzz is followed by an increase in noise level (like HDD spins faster) that lasts for a couple of seconds too

- I am positive this buzz started after the power failure event

This buzz seems to be present only when I am dowloading large amount of data from Internet.

According to CrystalDiskInfo my drives are healthy.

Does any of you have idea of what the problem could be here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

Sounds like your hard drive is failing. I would just say to do backups and hope for the best.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

With the combination of the buzzing sound and the hdd activity LED going on at the same time it does sound like the hdd could have a problem.  Please do the following.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

Thanks to all for replying.

@hamluis

What exactly is the purpose of what you suggested?

@dc3

Since my HDDs are Western Digital can't I just use the Data LifeGuard Diagnostic utility? Or HD Tune? I have both of them on my PC already.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

The reason that Louis has requested these two scan is because it will provide us with a lot of good information about this computer and its condition.

You can run the Data Lifeguard, I suggest the SeaTools for Windows because it is one of the easiest hdd/sdd testing tools to use currently available.

Edited by dc3, 19 March 2016 - 11:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

I'd avoid to clutter my machine installing several programs, if possible. And I don't get what "List of installed Programs", "Users, partitions and memory size" have to do with the issue we are talking about. I could install Speccy if I have to.

I think I'll go with the WD utility and run a complete test, as soon as I have the time.

There's one thing that bothers me: if the issue was caused (like it seems) by a very short power outage in spite of an APC Smart UPS and a XFX PSU (not exactly two inexpensive pieces of hardware) then I'm in big trouble.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:08 PM

I understand your desire to maintain a lean running machine, but the programs which were requested can provide us with information which could make diagnosing you problem much easier and in a shorter amount of time.  You do realize that you can uninstall these programs after running them... right?

#9 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Yes I do realize I can uninstall them, that was not my point.

Anyway, I'll install them and post the requested info here as soon as I can.

#10 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

I'm sorry I forgot to update the topic, I have been facing another issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users