Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no new updates on W8.1 since Feb/16

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Picolo

Picolo

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

After a long trip went on 'view' update history'  found the last entry: Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 8.1
 (which I usually decline).for x64-based Systems (KB3135782) Installation date: ‎2016-‎02-‎17 2:02 PM Installation status: Succeeded  Update type: Important.
 Followed by 7 other 'important' updates for Defender all succeeded as 0ptional ,again I usually decline as I don't  use Defender.

Then six updates (all failed) Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

I'm using a notebook 8.1 64-bit  Intel Pentium CPU N3530 @2.16GHz, 4.00 RAM, Intel HD Graphics and works well.

I'm puzzled with respect to updates, nobody but me has access to this machine. When I go for updates  I get the famous
 'come on' for Windows 10 and I have always refused the W10 updates since I'm not ready. I want to get an external
 HDD just in case  Can you please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:36 PM

To keep from the "upgrade to 10" nag, install GWX Control Panel.  I just ran Windows Update on my 8.1 system I hadn't used in the last month or two, but there were very few updates.  If I remember there were only 8 of them.  `

Correction:  I just checked.  Win 8 had 30 updates, it was Vista that only had 8.  Sorry 'bout that. 

Edited by Niweg, 17 March 2016 - 06:37 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Picolo

Picolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

Niweg,
thank for reply. How can I get those missing updates, something must be blocking or
preventing them from downloading?

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

You could boot to Safe Mode with networking and see if Windows Update would work then.  Do you think you could be infected with something?  You could do a virus scan, download MalwareBytes, get it up to date, and do a scan with it if you have reason to think that could be it.  If you think you might have corrupt system files somewhere, you could open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  You could do a system restore to a restore point before the problem started.    These are things you could try.  It sounds like it's just going to be a process of elimination one by one.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Post the results in your topic.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Picolo

Picolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for reply.  There seem to be too many problems.I will try to  'Recovery' Refresh the PC
without affecting my files,or reset it and start over again.
Goig on long trip so will mark this as pending.will start new post in few weeks.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

You don't need to start a new topic.  Just respond in this topic and emails will be sent out to those who are active in this topic and will respond.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Picolo

Picolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

I to every one that helped.

Returned and decided to do a refresh and all ok. thanks to all of you.

Piicolo

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users