Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't power on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ajcstr

ajcstr

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:51 PM

My daughter in-law's laptop suddenly will not power up.

I tried removing the battery and discharging, removing the memory, trying one chip at a time, tried with just adapter and just with battery.  Now I know the adapter is probably not the correct one for the laptop but it has been working.

It seems like it wants to boot up, the battery and power lights in the front are in, I can feel the fan but its extremely faint.  Is there anything else I can try?  I believe the mobo may be shot but not sure what else to try.  HD appears to be fine - hooked that up to an enclosure and got some files off it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

It does sound like a hardware problem.  Have you tried booting to the BIOS (Setup) when you power on?

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

It does sound like a hardware problem.  Have you tried booting to the BIOS (Setup) when you power on?

I don't think it even gets that far - last night I let the battery charge for a little so I could rule out the adapter.

When I power on, the light on the front of the computer comes on, the fan starts spinning but that's it.  No "post" beeps at all.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

Now I know the adapter is probably not the correct one for the laptop but it has been working.

If the voltage or current rating (Amps) are insufficient for this laptop this could be causing your problem.

Please post the make and model of this laptop.

On the power adapter you will find the specifications for it.  This will include the output voltage and the amperage.  The amperage can be expressed in Ah (Amp hours), or in Amp.

Please post the make and model of the power adapter and its specifications.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

Toshiba A505D-S6958

Power Supply (spec for the PC - not the one I am using)

•75W (19V x 3.94A) Auto-sensing, 100-240V/50-60Hz AC Adapter

http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2351196&isFromTOCLink=false

I will say that she does not have the correct power adapter which is why I charged the battery and tried to boot off that.  I will look at the power adapter I used and post back.

Edited by ajcstr, 18 March 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#6 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

Power Supply I have is toshiba PA3714U-1ACA

19V

3.42A

Also notice that even though the lights at the front of the pc are on (power, battery) and fan is spinning, caps lock light will not go on nor will the lights at the top of the pc which look like they are the audio controls.  And as I said before - no beeps.

The battery light was orange while charging then turned blue so I believe the battery charged

Edited by ajcstr, 20 March 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#7 Ptero4

Ptero4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:18 AM

Your power adapter doesn't quite match what the PC requires (19v x 3.42a you power adapter, 19v x 3.94a the original power adapter her PC came with).

#8 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:31 AM

Agreed, but if battery light changed from charging to charged doesn't that mean I should be able to power on using the battery?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

The voltage is important, and it looks like 19V is correct for this computer.  The amperage is just as important.  In this case the correct amperage for this power adapter is 3.41A, the amperage in the adapter being used is 3.94A.  This is an appreciable difference, enough that this could be insufficient for this computer to operate properly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

The voltage is important, and it looks like 19V is correct for this computer.  The amperage is just as important.  In this case the correct amperage for this power adapter is 3.41A, the amperage in the adapter being used is 3.94A.  This is an appreciable difference, enough that this could be insufficient for this computer to operate properly.

You are losing me a little here, are you saying that the battery didn't really charge?  I could understand that the power adapter by itself is not a good test, but it appears to have charged the battery.

Or are you saying the battery could have been damaged from the improper charge?

Also - would it be worth picking up a universal charger?

Edited by ajcstr, 21 March 2016 - 02:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users