Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer messed up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Godlover

Godlover

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

I had to reinstall windows 10.  I need some instruction to get windows explorer working properly.

A little back ground.

I had installed windows 10 from the online offer.  I was still having some problems, although minor, with the system and decided that the best option was to do a clean install.

I have been using GFI backup, but when I saw the option in windows to do the backup before doing the install, I fhought that that should be the best option.  So I backed up, installed and when I went to restore, it gave me some message about preparing the system of something.  Apparently it overwrit the back up file, because afterward there was nothing in the file.

Fortunately I had been using the other with incremental backups until recently.  So I was able to restore the greatest majority of the files,  (no need to say, I am checking out real backup solutions)

My problems is that the backup has created a duplication of the section of the file tree that was restored and I would like some supervision before trying to get the poblem fixed.

I think that part, at least, of the problem is that I did not know how to specify where to restore to and so it added the section.

I thought to see if I could get a screenshot of explorer, but it is quite long.

Where to go?

Edited by Godlover, 18 March 2016 - 11:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

You didn't say what your problem with Windows Explorer is.  What was called Windows Explorer in earlier versions is now called File Explorer in 10, so I assume that's what you're talking about.  You should see the icon for it on the taskbar, it looks like a manila folder.  It's also in the Start menu, the 4th thing from the bottom left side.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users