Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot after replacing the CMOS-Battery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hawky

Hawky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

Dear bleepingcomputer-community, this is my first post and I hope, it is in the right subforum.

We talk about an 6 years old Packard Bell - Desktop Computer

The Cmos battery was empty, there was the message at the post-Bios-Screen, so I replaced it with a new one (CR-2032 3V).

The battery is exactly the same as the old one except the brand.

Of course the PC wasn´t plugged in anymore and I grounded myself before making the replacement.

After the replacement the PC stops booting when reaching the "Windows is starting-Screen". It might be important to notice, that the pulsating Win-Logo, that shows up normally wasn´t visible. I tried to boot from CD, USB and Safemode, I even tried Grub, but the PC wont get past that point. Booting from CD will result in a Blue Screen and grub goes into the grub rescue mode(just DOS-Commandline) I tried with resetted BIOS-Setings and with optimized ones, but I had no success.

Strangely enough the PC will work normally, when I remove the battery or put in the old (empty) one.

I "solved" the problem by making sure, that the computer is always plugged in, so it doesn't need the CMOS-Battery at all, but I am still curious.

Could the new battery be the culprit and is it worth trying another one? I work with Computers a long time now, but I never ever experienced something like this. (it is a simple CMOS-battery change after all)

I am happy to hear about your thoughts regarding this problem.

Sincerly, Hawky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

Are you observing the polarity of the battery?

If this is a desktop the battery's positive side should be facing up.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Hawky

Hawky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

Yes, I paid attention to this. In this special case, the batteryslot is orthogonal to the Mainboard (not really common). One side is marked with a "+". Besides I plugged the battery the same way, as the old one.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

This sounds familiar but the cure is not.  Old battery, boots okay, new battery, halts on boot.  My first inclination is to boot to the installation disk.  The halt in loading is the OS trying to match hardware with drivers, if not is found, it just sits with a blank screen.  Something weird with the CMOS, Like a jumper is set to default, it won't get past the BIOS.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Hawky

Hawky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

This sounds familiar but the cure is not.  Old battery, boots okay, new battery, halts on boot.  My first inclination is to boot to the installation disk.  The halt in loading is the OS trying to match hardware with drivers, if not is found, it just sits with a blank screen.  Something weird with the CMOS, Like a jumper is set to default, it won't get past the BIOS.

As I said, I tried to boot from CD. I used the recovery-disk for this (I guess this is, what you meant by installation disk). Besides I did not move any of the jumpers, so they have the same position as to the time as the old battery still had some power. I am still puzzled, how can it be, that the CMOS, once powered by battery (it is powered anyway by the power supply) stops the Computer from booting? One more thing: when booting in safe-mode, the "windows is loading files-bar" appears, and dissapears again after completed..then the "windows is starting-screen" appears (no logo) and that is exactly the moment, where it stops. Same goes for grub and installation disk. It seems to successfully load the OS-Settings but then it stops.

What is the make and model of this computer?

I don´t have access to the computer right now, but I requested the Info you wanted and will post it later

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

Check the voltage provided by the new CMOS battery.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users