Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HOW COME all of a sudden my "Connection is Not Secure"

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:31 AM

I'm really getting ticked off and suspicious - for over a month now I frequently get the message "Your Connection is not Secure" for sites like my bank that I know darn well are secure - and many other sites --- TOO MANY to be an accident.

I have Firefox browser and I'm getting ready to throw it in the can - it used to present me with a way to go around it - to go to advanced and agree basically to say "I know this isn't secure but I want to go anyway"  but now I can't even do that - now I get an error code ---

It says "Go Back" basically ordering me not to advance further.

I'm really fed up with Firefox - its seriously impacting my use of my computer because I have sites I want to go to and Firefox is not letting me go there.

WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN is this happening and WHY can I no longer agree to their stupid "I accept the risk"  and go to the site.

Is this some kind of censorship?   I keep hearing about interference with accessing the web and I do not understand but like I said I know for a fact my bank site is secure but that's one I get the message on and frankly this is b.s.

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum, at the suggestion of member that was helping OP. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 26 March 2016 - 10:49 PM.
Moved fro Win 8/8.1 to Web browsing etc applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:34 AM

It just occurred to me maybe I should have posted this under Firefox.   Maybe if I weren't so frustrated I would have considered this before. 

Anyway if I should have if someone can move it for me?

I just really need answers ASAP thanks.

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Make sure your computer has the correct date (and year) and time.

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:31 PM

Make sure your computer has the correct date (and year) and time.

It has had the correct time but only yesterday it is an hour off (an hour later than what it should be) but it is set on the correct time zone and daylight savings time.   Not sure why it changed just a day or two ago.  How would the time affect my Connection Site clearances? Thanks.

Edited by JayJax, 20 March 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:35 PM

Are you having the same problem since you adjusted the time?

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

I have not changed it yet - waiting to see if it corrects itself because it had been right when the time changed for DST a week or two ago.   It is set on the proper time zone (Central) with updates for DST.   I could change it to another time zone and then it would be right but I'm thinking that when / if it corrects it will be wrong again.    Its weird - I have two clocks in my main room both where I spend most of my time and they automatically set themselves from the atomic clock.   Every so often one of them will change on its own but usually corrects in a few hours.   So now I feel like I must check several clocks to be sure I've got the right time.    The way it is now I could be late for an appointment - the other way round (being early) wouldn't be such a problem just a pain. 

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:36 PM

I started another discussion here as I hadn't gotten any replies to this one (thought maybe it got lost in the shuffle) and there were more issues involved - sorry if I should have stuck with this discussion but it had been awhile with no replies (like Seinfeld said "not that there's anything wrong with that"  :lmao: -  I realize I'm just one of many asking for help and I do appreciate all of you trust me)   but here is a link to the other discussion that has a lot of info about what's happening with my computer and issues lately.     I did a system restore last week because for some reason the voices  in videos all sounded like Micky Mouse - maybe there was another way to fix it but I just did the system restore to an earlier time maybe that is how the time issue got mixed up.  That's the way it usually goes ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER - trying to fix this I screw up that?  :nono:      http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608407/recommend-a-browser-none-function-properly-they-all-have-flaws-i-cant-fix/

Edited by JayJax, 21 March 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

NOW I'M THINKING I'm losing it and I had an out of body (or more likely OUT OF MIND) experience because according to these two discussions of mine I just started this one two days before the second one I gave you the link to - worries me because I really thought it had been a month or so ago so now I'm worried about my computer status plus whether I'm flipping out crazy.   SORRY - This is creeping me out - if I am flipping out it was not a deliberate flip-up but INVOLUNTARY.   I hope this doesn't lead to being INVOLUNTARILY committed because I doubt they let me have my computer at the "facility" and so it will never get fixed.   Maybe I was trapped in a mind/time warp?    I like that idea better than crazy.  This is too overwhelming I'm gonna go chill - concentrate on rejuvenating my brain cells.  :warrior: 

Edited by JayJax, 21 March 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

If date and time are correct, I'd look for another cause, other than your mental state though... :)

Had your computer checked for malware lately?

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

If date and time are correct, I'd look for another cause, other than your mental state though... :)

Had your computer checked for malware lately?

Well now I think I have some empathy for how those people who have multiple personalities.   Some dispute they exist but I won't argue for it either way other than to say that it is a strange feeling that you did something you don't remember doing and I do not remember posting this other topic just a few days ago.   ANYWAY, this not being The National Enquirer but a forum for those of us struggling with wayward computers - I will respond with further information about the suspect going-on with my computer.

Bearing in mind my two somewhat overlapping threads/issues --- as regards the nuisance pop-up site which defies my best efforts (admittedly using "thrifty" software programs) to maintain a safe and secure and happy peaceful environment in which browse the vast sometimes forboding WORLD WIDE WEB.

I find it very ODD and yes, VEXING that despite the fact that I have Ad-Block and several other programs running meant to keep out the riff-raff I continue to get this damnable exortation/proposal to take the Time-Warner Customer Survey.   To further embellish: I have also set firefox preferences to block all communications from the purveyors of this scam intrusion and yet incredibly AGAIN TODAY (doing away with the theory that I undid the protection with my system restore) I found that my preferences to block them had been un-done.   AND I find it ESPECIALLY IRKSOME that while I continue to get blocked from certain sites that might be DANGEROUS AND NOT SECURE (that are not a threat but reliable sites like my bank whose security measures seem too stringent to me - but maybe that's because my amassed fortune is dwindles monthly to the near zero mark - I haven't enough funds to lose any sleep over losing) - that despite these blocks and programs and so forth I am prevented from accessing my bank but these damnable survey people are like something from Friday Fright Night that just won't die.   

Again just an hour or so ago they visited yet again.   Here is the information I managed to ascertain and record for posterity:

Modified: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:42:48 PM

Meta (2 tags)

Media:
In the Permissions on Firefox I set to Block All from the Survey site.

Security says I visited this page 3 other times before today (but it has been many more times actually) AS FAR AS I KNOW.

Firefox says its not encrypted

Says website does not supply owner information

VERIFIED BY: NOT SPECIFIED.

PLEASE NOTE MY PROTEST:    Despite the above disclaimer that the SURVEY SITE has an unspecified verifier and is non-encrypted  - wouldn't you think that would leave it in the same SITE UNSECURE category that causes Firefox Guardians to rear their heads and bar me from exercising my Constitutional rights to visit where I please?   Like a wayward recalcitrant child I am FORCED to SIGN AN AGREEMENT which several times with ANNOYING redundancy reminds me  that I am willfully and knowingly defying the very learned professionals of Firefox --- stating I want to THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND and charge ahead to who knows what hellish website -   WHY DOESN'T THIS SURVEY DEMON meet the same Gnarly PESKY obstacles?

SORRY - sometimes when I am feeling righteous indignation I end up being rather long-winded.

I confess I have no technical knowledge of computers.   I am a hopeless rooky who knows just enough but not enough of the internet and its environs - it is the common-ordinary-everyday me who protests the unfairness of it all.   As though pesky nuisance con-artists and carnival hucksters give any consideration to being fair and displaying good character and morals.

Edited by JayJax, 23 March 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

As regards the issue of TIME, I have RESET MY computer to reflect the technically correct time even though in order to do so it was necessary to select the wrong time zone / daylight savings setting.   RIGHT BUT WRONG is how it is.   The choices and compromises I am forced to make in order to function (or a close approximation thereof) in this world!  :grinner:

Anyway, whatever shortcomings I have - my computer now reflects the PROPER TIME.  I and my computer are again one with the universe!

From time to time I have contemplated a move to the desert southwest as I am a hot-weather kind of person so I thought to incorporate that into my changing time zone setting.   So I set my computer for 15 minutes or so to the Phoenix time zone which is in its own little anti-establishment time warp.   Of course reason must prevail to I did finally settle on Mountain Time which is working out quite nicely.  All my household timepieces are now in harmonious agreement and in at least one small but important aspect of life I am one with the universe.

I have always enjoyed reading and i recall in grade school the teacher assigning "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" as a reading requirement and it was a good read even if written from the viewpoint of a somewhat old and stodgy guy.   Maybe it affected me more than I knew; maybe the ghost of Walter Mitty is lurking somewhere inside me, that might explain the discrepancies with this alternate thread conundrum? 

Edited by JayJax, 23 March 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

The "insecure site" error happens when you try to connect to a https:// (encrypted) site and there is an error with the certificate (a file presented to your PC to verify that the website is what it says it is). Certificates have an expiration date, so that is why we asked about the date and time.

Are your issues fixed now? I'm having trouble interpreting your last post.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:42 PM

No - I continue to get barred from sites  - why now all of a a sudden are large numbers of my sites judged unsecure and to make matters worse why simultaneously does this Scam Time Warner Customer Survey able to get thru despite my having it blocked.

#14 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hmm... definitely strange. If you could, please do the following for us:

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Restore Points
Click Go and paste the result (Result.txt) in your next reply. A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory (folder) the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

I'm still not sure if you're actually using the correct (at least the official time for your time zone) or the one you "prefer"... But, by all means, please do proceed with the instructions above.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users