Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen loses signal when starting windows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thaspirus

Thaspirus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

This is my mom's desktop computer. It's old, idk what year (has windows xp). She said she had it on while there was a fire in the furnace across the room from it, it's a small room though. That's what she believes caused the issue.

The computer will boot up, but when you try to start windows the monitor changes to "no signal". It also won't turn off with the power button, I have to flip the switch on the surge protector.

Any ideas what could be causing it? I'm trying to figure it out without taking it apart, but if it comes to that then so be it.

Update, it now gets to the desktop but the same happens after a few minutes.

Edited by Thaspirus, 17 March 2016 - 01:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

1 Is the monitor cable connected all the way into the desktop?
2 Is the connector loose?
3 Does the monitor do the same thing on other computers?
4 Did you install the proper drivers for the graphics?
5 Do you have the proper drivers installed for the monitor?

#3 Thaspirus

Thaspirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:57 AM

I opened it up and took stuff out and cleaned it. Put it back together and now it says:

Alert! CPU Fan Failure.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

#4 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

I opened it up and took stuff out and cleaned it. Put it back together and now it says:
Alert! CPU Fan Failure.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Is the CPU fan connected to the motherboard and does it spin when you turn on the PC?

#5 Thaspirus

Thaspirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

There's no other computer here to test it on, as I don't live with her. The cable is/was in good, not loose. The correct drivers are installed.

#6 Thaspirus

Thaspirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

Yes and yes. It beeps twice when turned on now. The power button also turns it off again.
I hear a fan spin when it's turned on, but I can't be sure if it's the right fan, as there is another one on the battery.

Edited by Thaspirus, 17 March 2016 - 01:04 AM.

#7 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

There's no other computer here to test it on, as I don't live with her. The cable is/was in good, not loose. The correct drivers are installed.

Maybe if you have your own computer then you could use that to test it out.

#8 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:10 AM

In order for me to help you out here tell me if you have an onboard graphics card or an AGP/PCI graphics card and list the exact model of it and if AGP/PCI card came with a disc.

Edited by POKEGAMERZ, 17 March 2016 - 01:22 AM.

#9 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:21 AM

Here is what I suggest-
1 Boot computer.
2 Quickly press F8 many times until a menu pops up.
3 Boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking if internet is required.
4 Uninstall graphics drivers.
5 Reinstall and update graphics drivers by either using the disc that came with your AGP/PCI graphics card, using the motherboard disc if the graphics are onboard or going on to the motherboard or graphics card manufacturer's website and downloading them there.
6 Restart PC and boot normally and tell me if it works.

#10 Thaspirus

Thaspirus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:25 AM

Pretty sure it doesn't have a graphics card. It was used in a tax office so it didn't need to be able to run anything at all demanding. But I let it boot up and sit at the desktop for a bit. It shut itself down (it would stay on and the monitor lost signal before) and when I started it again it said there was a thermal event and the same alert as before. So it looks like I just need to get a CPU fan. Thanks for taking the time to help me though.

#11 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

Pretty sure it doesn't have a graphics card. It was used in a tax office so it didn't need to be able to run anything at all demanding. But I let it boot up and sit at the desktop for a bit. It shut itself down (it would stay on and the monitor lost signal before) and when I started it again it said there was a thermal event and the same alert as before. So it looks like I just need to get a CPU fan. Thanks for taking the time to help me though.

OK! They can be found at like Micro Center or just your average PC repair shop.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to read the voltage scales?

You mentioned a fire in the furnace.  Did this cause a power outage?

Have you tried connecting the computer to a wall receptacle to make sure there isn't a problem with the UPS?

You are going to eventually have to open the side of the case.  I would suggest that you do so now to see how the fan is being powered and working.  It will either be plugged into the motherboard or to a molex connector.

If it is connected to the motherboard, how many wires does the fan have?

If this computer is as old as you are describing, it could need a good cleaning out as well.  A buildup of dust inside the computer, especially in the heatsink and fan assembly attached to the CPU can cause overheating.  Obviously the CPU will overheat if the fan on it isn't working,

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users