Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

**Laptop screen has vertical lines on 2/3 of screen (bottom)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

I just acquired a used laptop with windows 7 home Premium.

The computer works well except that the bottom part of the screen shows vertical lines throughout.

These vertical lines go up about 3 inches thick and go across the bottom which cover the bottom.

I can only use the top part of the screen to browse, because anything on the bottom is covered by these lines.

I connected the laptop to an external monitor, actually my HDTV, via RGB cable.

The mirrored screen on the TV from my laptop is perfect and can bee seen in its entirety.

SO I was told that is a good thing.

I researched some videos online that show people applying pressure to the laptop screen in an effort to get the full screen to show.

On many it shows it worked. I tried applying pressure on the laptop in different areas to see if it helps, but the screen remains unchanged no matter where i push.

I suppose I could do some checking inside the unit, but would like to follow visual instructions to be able to do this.

I will rule out viruses because I think its something else.

Anything you think I can try?

Thanks so much in advance... I attached a picture.

Attached File  20160316_175522.jpg   80.89KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2016 - 09:35 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

The fact that the problem does not persist when you used the external monitor is good news as this indicates that the integrated graphics is not the problem. 

There are several things which could cause this type of problem.  

Update the drivers.

Check the screen resolution and make sure you are using the "recommended" resolution settings.

A break in the ribbon cable between the motherboard and the display.

The technique you were apply in the attempt to resolve this is used when there is a problem with the magnetic field of the display.

As you can see this can be difficult to diagnose and could require replacing parts, such as the ribbon cable previously mentioned or the display.

If you paid for this I would suggest seeing if the person who sold this to you will take the laptop back and return your money.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Edwin009

Edwin009

• Banned Spammer
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

This seems more like a physical defect (bad screen). To confirm that, boot the computer in BIOS. If the screen appears same, its definitely a physical defect. If not, you can  try the steps provided by Arachibutyrophobia.

-Edwin

#4 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hi Edwin and (dc3) Arachibutyrophobia, thank you for your replies.

I went into safe mode and i think bios, though its hard to see with the screen "half" gone. So If I did make it into bios, The screen remained the same no matter what I did...

So, I  even in safe mode, which I know I did enter, the screen remained the same, which I guess means its a physical

defect. The resolution is set on the recommended.

I am guessing that it could be a cable that is the culprit.

I was wondering if there are videos where I can disemble the laptop, this particular one. I tried looking on you tube but my particular laptop is not shown.

I was given this laptop for free so I wasnt scammed.

I am thinking that if it is a cable, that replacing it will be a least expensive fix.

Any other tips will be appreciated.

I thank you for your time.

Edited by azyardies, 18 March 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Please post the make and model of this laptop and I will see if I can find a video for disabling the laptop's display. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hi This laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p.

It is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I hope this is the info you needed.  Any help is appreciated.

I thank you for your time.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

https://youtu.be/RTkp7zC0wGg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users