Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to upgrade Graphics card but...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 solarkitty

solarkitty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

not sure if also needing to upgrade anything else.

I have an iBuyPower Desktop PC ARC Series NE781K Intel Core tower that I bought recently. I bought it to play PC games on ultra high settings. But I did not realize that the graphics card was not the greatest lol.

My monitor is 1920x1080 and thats the resolution I want to play my games on, or try to. My current graphics card is the Radeon r7 250x.

I was looking at possibly the AMD R9 series? But wanted some more experienced opinions and other options/brands if they're possible.

I have tried playing games like Tera and Blade & Soul and they seem to be slow and stutter, like the computer can't process all of it. So I would definitely need a new graphics card right?  I was told I may need to upgrade my PSU as well.

Here are the rest of my specs if it helps:
Intel Core i5 4690K (3.50 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD 120 GB SSD Windows 10 64-Bit AMD Radeon R7 250X 1 GB
PSU: 400w Soly Tech SL-F400 ATX12V 115/ 230 V

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

What is your budget?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 solarkitty

solarkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

What is your budget?

I don't want to spend more than $300-500... it depends on what really needs upgraded.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

I recommend this psu: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr

As for a gpu, nvidia and amd are releasing new architectures later this year that will be more powerful, and will reduce the price on current cards. Or, from current cards I recommend the R9 380 or gtx 960. If you are willing to spend more money, get a R9 390 or gtx 970

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

The Nvidia GTX 970 would best fit that budget.

The R9's would draw to much power for that small of a power supply and break it. 

The GTX 970 draws up to 150 watts, and the R9 series draws up to 250 watts. With some pinned out for 300 watts. That's by themselves to. Not with all the other parts that also draw power. 

AMD does make a power efficient top end card, but it barely fits in your budget. It's the AMD R9 Nano. It also draws up to only 150 watts and would work, but 499$ for the R9 nano VS 320$ for a GTX 970... the performance would be better on the nano, but there isn't anything you couldn't do on the 970 that you could on the R9 Nano. Both would run current games on ultra, with 60FPS, at 1080p. 

EDIT: 

As for a gpu, nvidia and amd are releasing new architectures later this year that will be more powerful, and will reduce the price on current cards. 

The new cards are rated to be 2.5 times faster per dollar. 

Edited by SEANIA, 16 March 2016 - 08:13 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 solarkitty

solarkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

I recommend this psu: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr

As for a gpu, nvidia and amd are releasing new architectures later this year that will be more powerful, and will reduce the price on current cards. Or, from current cards I recommend the R9 380 or gtx 960. If you are willing to spend more money, get a R9 390 or gtx 970

Ah, that sounds good. That PSU isn't expensive and I can spring for one of those cards too. That PSU can work for the ibuypower case right? There's a vent on the bottom facing the floor, so I'd hook it up with the fan downwards right?

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

Ah, that sounds good. That PSU isn't expensive and I can spring for one of those cards too. That PSU can work for the ibuypower case right? There's a vent on the bottom facing the floor, so I'd hook it up with the fan downwards right?

Correct.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Raxx425

Raxx425

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:31 AM

Ya go for the GTX 970, that's what I have in my PC and it runs everything great.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Ya go for the GTX 970, that's what I have in my PC and it runs everything great.

Why do that when you can wait and pick up some new cards soon? Especially if they're really gonna get you 2.5x performance / $
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#10 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

Looks like the PSU is not the best quality in that build I'd recommend getting this EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 550W ECO Mode Fully Modular PSU instead $60 after MIR

And this Video card, SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 390X 100381NTOCL 8GB GDDR5 $405 after MIR or a 390 will be cheaper

The AMD 380,290,390, Fury series onwards should be better suited to handle dx12 games due to their underlying architecture

So they will last longer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users