Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extended Display Woes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ryan913

ryan913

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

Hi Everyone!

So I am having some issues extending my display. I just got a refurbished 2016 Dell XPS 13 laptop (Win 10 64-bit, i7, 8GB RAM). A great laptop so far, but the problem is that it won't extend or project onto my TV. The computer recognizes the additional screen (a Toshiba TV) but will not display on it. When I click extend display, the laptop screen goes dark. Occasionally I can revert the display back to the laptop with some blind clicking, but usually I end up restarting the computer.

On the TV side, the TV says "No Signal" even after I have plugged in the HDMI cord and the computer makes the hardware recognition sound and the TV appears as an additional screen in the display control panel on the laptop. I have tried using the on board graphics software (Intel HD Graphics), the Win 10 Control Panel, and hotkeys. All with the same result.

I would love it someone smarter than me could tell me what to do!

One thing. The XPS 13 doesn't have an HDMI port -- it has a Type C USB port. I bought a Dell Adapter that goes from Type C USB to VGA/HDMI/USB/Ethernet -- not sure if that is the issue or not, but like I said, the laptop recognizes the TV, it just seems like the opposite is not true!

Anyway, thanks for the help. It'll be a lot easier to watch the new season of GoT if I can actually see it!

Cheers,

Ryan 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

Windows+P is the key combination you want for switching the screens.

The best way I've found to get an external screen to work is to connect the screen to the laptop and turn the screen on.  Then turn on the laptop.

There is the possibility that the TV can't handle what the laptop is sending to it for video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users