Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Full Scan Switches Over To Quick Scan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Hey all.

I was running a full scan on my Win8 system using Defender.  After 15 minutes, scan was three-quarters completed with no problems, so  I left the computer for five minutes.  When I returned, Defender had switched over to a Quick Scan in order to finish up. 

No threats found, either by Defender or by MBam, which I ran afterwards.  But is it unusual for Defender to switch from Full to Quick scan mid-operations? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

I never heard of that happening before so I'm not sure how it occurred.

There are three types of scans offered by Windows 8/10 Defender and most other anti-virus/anti-malware programs:
  • Quick Scan only checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. The length of time for performing a Quick scan will vary but it generally takes about 15-30 minutes so they can be performed daily.
  • Full Scan is much more comprehensive since it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing a Full scan will also vary but because it is so comprehensive, this type of scan can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a weekly scan without having to monitor it.
  • Custom Scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.
In most cases when performing routine security checks, only a Quick Scan is needed since it checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. A Full scan is generally recommended only for heavily infected systems.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 LanceA

LanceA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

This just recently happened to me as well. This is just after Defender discovered a Trojan called Rogue: JS/TechBrolo.A in my Chrome cache in Appdata, but could not remove it because it disappeared after detection.

Update: I was just able to make a full scan without interruption. System reported clean.

Edited by LanceA, 18 August 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

Glad to hear it sorted itself out.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif