Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple issues after cloning WIndows 10 to SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sciencebepraised

sciencebepraised

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

Hi! A few months ago I cloned my Windows 10 machine to a new Samsung 500GB SSD. Since then I've run into a few things that I just can't figure out. My guess is that they may be related.

Problem 1. Currently, I can't select the SSD as my primary boot device. Whenever I restart, I have to select it manually from a list of boot devices. If I try to change the default boot device, the Samsung is not listed as an option. My Mobo is a Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3.

Problem 2. I upgraded to an SSD primarily so that I can run the OS and applications like photoshop from it. I currently have Photoshop loading from the SSD and save my working files to a 3TB internal HDD connected via SATA. The problem is that despite the files size, Photoshop has been very laggy and freezes for a few seconds quite often when trying to do something. I moved some of the psd files to the SSD to test if it was just the HDD but I often have the same issues.

Here are some other things that may be useful:

*16GB RAM

*intel i5 processor

*Average psd file size 10-100MB

*I have 3 internal drives and 2 external

*I used MiniTool partition wizard to clone my C drive. (It actually still shows up in my explorer as the C drive)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

Are you saying that when you go to the Startup and Recovery option in the Control Panel's System applet that your C: drive isn't showing up there?  Or are you trying something different?  Please explain because I've never seen this problem with the System applet.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 sciencebepraised

sciencebepraised
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Something different. I cloned my C drive to a new SSD. I can select it as my boot drive on startup by tapping the F12 key and scrolling through the options but if I try to change the default boot drive in the BIOS, only 2 or 3 of my hard drives are listed as default bootable devices and the SSD is not one of them.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

You need to try the System applet procedure I mentioned above.  That's always worked for me over a good number of years.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users