Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Benefits of an actual sound card in 2016?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

I have been building PCs since the late 90's and up until around 2003 or so I had always bought a sound card for my systems.  Sound Blaster was my brand of choice and the last one I owned was the original Audigy.  After that I just always used the integrated sound card on the mother board and it seemed to perform well.  I have build a nice system (see my signature) and wondering if I should actually go with a dedicated sound card or is it just a waste of money.

I use my PC for gaming, movies/television and music.  Should I go with a dedicated card and what card should I get? 

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

Modern motherboard manufacturers have middle end sound cards built in. Unless you do professional sound production you probably won't need one.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

I have had to go with a sound card to get the best sound.  The onboard is quite adequate on most system boards and some have surround sound (quadraphonic)  and even line inputs.  All my analog (tapes and vinyl) inputs are for archive so they need 24 bit and 144K to get the most content.  Specs on plugin and external units(USB) match but system board specs vary from mfgr to mfgr. Consideration needs to be taken when system boards are at high levels during gaming and sound has sync problems, often switching from one method to the other can change the process order and speed things a bit to make sync.  I had it work both ways.  For laptops it's a big deal, very good sound from an LT.  External units, the best being FireWire fed are exceptional but quite pricey.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

It also depends on the quality of equipment you are using for audio playback. If you are using the standard type of speakers bought or supplied as 'computer speakers' you would probably notice very little difference if any. If you are using reasonable hi-fi quality speakers and amplifier then, since the sound card is the signal generator, as good a sound card as you can justify will pay dividends.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 16 March 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#5 GameGuru

GameGuru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

It also depends on the quality of equipment you are using for audio playback. If you are using the standard type of speakers bought or supplied as 'computer speakers' you would probably notice very little difference if any. If you are using reasonable hi-fi quality speakers and amplifier then, since the sound card is the signal generator, as good a sound card as you can justify will pay dividends.

Chris Cosgrove

I am using Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II, are these considered low end for audio?

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-BasXPort-Technology/dp/B001S14DYO

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

I think they would probably justify a sound card !

It also depends on your ears. The efficiency of hearing varies a lot from one individual to another. I know my hearing has been damaged due largely to spending too much time on rifle ranges before the British army cottoned on to ear protectors.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

I havent bought a sound card in ages. but I guess a lot depends on your personal tast and preferences, you can certainly get better quality with a high end dedicated card, but the ones onboard anymore are more then adequate. I stopped using a dedicated when I built my current system, and had a crossfire setup and room was tight so i threw it out for better cooling, and I run a 6 speaker surround sound with a 8 inch subwoofer, and have noticed no serious issues with sound quality.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

I decided to upgrade from decent on board sound to an off board USB DAC, which works well with my studio monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro headphones.  I get considerably better performance out of those with the DAC (particularly the headphones), but it loses some of the bells and whistles on the internal audio like surround sound, which I didn't use anyway.  But it depends on your speakers etc.  For most purposes, I'd think internal audio would be fine.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:01 AM

Unless you are running a high end sound setup sound cards are practically obsolete. I rather spend money on a good GPU then something that went out of fashion ages ago

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users